Hooking PC to a TV

By OasD
Nov 28, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am as dumb as a box of rocks. But can I run my compute through my TV? If so what do I need. It is a Dell 3000. thanks
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,246   +213

Well, of the site I looked at when googling your computer I only saw a VGA out, which is how you've connected your monitor. Also it turns out you don't have any AGP slots. So unfortunately right now you can't hook your computer up to a TV.

I did some very quick searching and found a Radeon 7000 video card that would work for you. It has an S-Video output that you can run with an s-video cable to your TV. It also has a DVI connection, so if you wanted to get really fancy and had a hdtv you could buy a DVI to HDMI cable and watch stuff in HD. But I'm not sure the processor on that computer could handle real hd...
  3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Honestly, I don't know. It's a possibility that it would run 1080i, but I'm not sure. I personally have a Demension 2400 (Same CPU) and it runs Movies (SD) flawlessly, so I'd say we need someone to give it a shot... though I don't recommend it to someone who describes themselves as "dumb as rocks"... ;)
  4. eddie010

eddie010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

If your TV has a VGA input then you can hook it up with a spare VGA cable, availiable at most computer and electronics stores. (It's the same cable used to connect your monitor to your PC)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.