TechSpot

Hooking two D-link wireless routers together

By hjcastello
Sep 21, 2009
  1. I have a DI-524 wireless router and it is setup on channel 6 with DHCP enabled. I have a MBR1310 wireless router setup on channel 6 with DHCP disabled. After confirguring the second router I can use the laptop to get on internet and then after about 5 minutes the first desktop from the first router can not get to the internet. The laptops that are hooked up wirelessly from second router is working good. I unplugged the second router and the first machine is working fine. I would of thought that if you disable DHCP from the second router that it would work. Am I wrong. What am I doing wrong? The only other thing that I might be doing wrong is not having my cat 5 cable in the right ports.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

wire them thusly
    Code:
    modem--(wan)Router#1(lan)----(lan)router#2
    leaving router#2 with an empty WAN port -- this is the router with the disabled DHCP.

btw: separate the channels on #1 vs #2 so they don't interfer with each other :)

3. hjcastello

hjcastello TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok, i will try that on Saturday 26th, and let you know the results
    Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.