Hope this goes here... please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Today I decied that I was going to install another stick of ram. Prior to installing this new ram my system had 2 256mb sticks and 1 512mb sticks in there. It was running fine, just a little slow. I went out into town and bought a stick of 1 gb ram... Same kind and everything as what is in there now. I figured that i would have to remove the 2 256 mb sticks due to a 512 and 1024 arent going to work together in the same 2 slots (as i was told). So i go ahead and remove the 256 ones and keep the 1gb and 512mb sticks in my computer. I install it all and power up my computer. It goes through that crappy restarting screen every 30 secs. It would not let me into safe mode or my last boot that was successful. So i started reading online and found out that u can turn it off to recieve and error code. Well I did, and this is what I recieved, Ntfs.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Now that I knew this was going to be a pain in the **** I just tried to put everything the way it was and return the stick of ram. I put every stick in the same slot as it was b4 i started this day. And when i booted the computer i recieve the same error. Why am i recieving this error when i went back to the setup that was working no longer then an hour ago... IF anyone could possibly help me, please do. I am retarded when it comes to computers so please reply as if you were talking to a 5 year old. I want to fix this problem myself because i do not want to give bestbuy a couple 100 dollars for nothing.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Incase this helps, the blue screen shows this as the bottom:

Technical Infomation:

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0xE1819000, 0X00000000, 0xF7445A8C, 0X00000001)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address F7445A8C base at F73F6000, DatStamp 45cc56a7

Sounds like it COULD be faulty RAM. Pull the new stick and start up without it. See what happens. You should easily be able to boot with 512MB.

Alternatively, you could (if possible) put the stick in a different slot. I had a system a few years back that had a faulty slot rather than faulty ram.

RAM doesn't always tolerate mixing well. Although this doesn't explain why you still have a problem after putting things back the way they were. For troubleshooting this you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. I would suggest running only 1 stick like MrSnoobs said, if you have problems with just 1 stick, then I'd try a different stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back