TechSpot

Horizontal lines across laptop screen

By Modena
Aug 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there, I turned my laptop on and all I got was these horizontal lines white/gray ones throughout the screen. I can hear everything loading correctly in the background, and I can even get the screen to display a nice correct image if I bend it at the top in and out a little bit.
    So what do you guys think it could be? I was thinking maybe a bad inverter, or ribbon cable? I'm not sure and would appreciate any info so that I can order a whole new screen, or a specific part, thank you.

2. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182

Also if it helps I plugged it into a monitor through VGA and it worked fine. I also reseated the cable from the board to the screen and that did nothing.

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

I think you are most probably right about ribbon cable, I am unsure how much it will cost you, but it seems to be the logical point to start with, especially considering that you said "it works fine if its bent a little bit".

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.