Horrible cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtickner1

ok i think there is something my cpu, i have an AMD athlon 3200+ and some programs that i run that would max out the worlds 1st cpu say that they are using all my cpu usage in the task manager and my comp runs like an old lady. somebody please help me :)

programs that i have had trouble with
icy tower (such a fun little game i reccomend it unless it unleashes on ur cpu)
opera
imvu

my specs are:
AMD athlon 3200+
512mb ram
foxconn winfast mobo
powercolor X1600XT bravo edition
WD 120bg HDD
pioneer dvd/cd burner

-does the problem presents itself in safe mode/msconfig diagnostic mode?
-tried it with loading the minimum programs in the background?
-check your temps arn't running too high by looking at BIOS hardware temp or Speedfan etc.
-have a virus scan recently?
-you should upgrade your ram to 1GB if you can.. it will help a lot..

opera, defender and icy tower seem to only do it when there are some other programs running but will sometimes do it anyway even if there is nothing. IMVU im thinking that there might be something wrong with the program its self cause it just munts up as soon as you open it, i emailed them but i still havnt got a reply and that was like 2 weeks ago. i am getting more ram soon but even with only 512mb these programs should run.

heres a pic of my temps i couldnt work out which 1 was which

good news is that your temps are fine and the voltages are passable.

i agree with your observation on the IMVU program.. try uninstalling it and see if your system stabilizes afterwards.. from a small google some people are saying the client is still in beta version but since i'm not too familiar with it, you should know more about it than me..

i would also suggest another other thing, have a read of the "preliminary removal instructions" in the security and web section just to cross out an infection.. also download Process Explorer and have a look at whats the actual module thats eating up the processes..

ok ill do what uv said and see what happend, imvu is a beta atm and i was kinda thinking thats y it could not be working
thanks

btw what do you mean by the module

BETA's are awful, i used vista BETA 2, office 07 BETA 2, zone alarm 7 BETA, bitdefender 10 BETA, and the list goes on, not one has been troubleless, except office, which the only problem is it prints about 10 words a page I zooms the font some much.

i have now read through that virus removal thing and so far i know i still have trouble with icy tower :(

i mean im sure ill cope with out icy tower opera is the 1 that i would really like to stop being lame (b4 any1 goes problem solved FIREFOX) i have firefox i just prefer to use opera

thanks for your help

If the program isn't hugely important, maybe you should consider uninstalling it, just try and rule things out.

Sorry, missed that last post, Well there is no point using a program that causes poor computer performance, if the problem does indeed lie within opera, then you may have to bite the bullet and scrap opera for the new IE (It's actually quite good) or firefox.
cheers
hynesy:wave:

well you never know if you don't try things.. if it doesn't affect anything, then nothing happens, and if it does you'll be ecstatic to find the problem :)

by modules i should have said processes.. process explorer is like a better version of task manager but with stats you can see onscreen in real time.. there's a column with "CPU" on it which will show you whats using the processor at that exact moment and how much % of it.

please guys use the edit button where possible, its what its made for :)

i just installed azureus and when it ran its little setup wizard it had a little pop up that "azureus has detected some file that Nvidia fire wall uses, this is known to cause program crashes and high cpu usage" i dont know if this is only to do with azureus or weather it also so meant other programs.

i took a print screen of the pop up box thing but as soon as i did our power cut out and i cant get it to come back up :(

i just installed azureus and when it ran its little setup wizard it had a little pop up that "azureus has detected some file that Nvidia fire wall uses, this is known to cause program crashes and high cpu usage" i dont know if this is only to do with azureus or weather it also so meant other programs.
well do you have Nvidia firewall installed?

yes i sure do have it installed it installed it was already installed when i built my computer so i just left it.
if this is the problem can some1 recomend a new firewall or am i ok just using windows firewall?

opera seemed to stop being lame after i got the latest version that came out. i installed kerio its much better than nvidia firewall but the other 2 programs havnt changed from being cpu monsters so i think ill just forget about them. thanks for help all especially N3051M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back