TechSpot

Horrible picture quality with Radeon in 16-bit...

By Didou
Feb 10, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before you start saying who cares, all games are made for 32 bit now, let me explain.

I have a few "old" games that I still like to play that only run in 16 bit : Thief, thief 2, Nomad Soul (Omikron). I've lent them to a friend the other day & he has a Radeon VE, it sucks I know but since those games aren't the latest, it should've been OK.

The image is awfull. Really bad. I'v red many sites complaining about te quality of 16-bit rendering on Radeon cards but I never thought it would be that bad.

I noticed a little degradattion myself going from a VooDoo3 to a GeForce but this is ridiculous. I'll try to get some screenshots.

Does anyone else here have a Radeon ? Try playing UnrealT or any other game in 16 bit. I'd like to know your opinions on this...
  2. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

o geez man. Have you ever tried to use your computer without the drivers installed. Let me say its a just a LIL frustrating. EVERYTHING moves slowly. Even scrolling a page makes it look like you video taped a television with the lines all over the damn place. I'm not sure why the radeon card has so much trouble with it. Maybe ATI focused more on newer games i suppose...
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

My 16-bit looks fine.

I have an ATI Radeon 64mb DDR (Same as Phat) and my 16-bit looks just as good as anything else I've experienced. I'm hard pressed to tell a difference between 16 bit and 32 bit really.

I suggest getting the newest drivers from ATI.
    http://support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon/radeon_drivers.html

If you have the newest official drivers, get the newest leaked drivers here:
    http://www.rage3d.com/files/drivers/radeonbeta.shtml

Or here:
    http://www.warp2search.net/download.php?op=viewsdownload&sid=8

If you are using Windows XP, I would like to mention that I'm using the 6.13.10.6018 drivers and they are working better than any drivers I have previously tried. No bugs at ALL so far, which is fairly uncommon.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Topic Starter Posts: 5,899

Here are the screenshots I promised

First example
    [​IMG]

Look at the wall on the right :dead:
    [​IMG]

Look at the floor :(
    [​IMG]

It's plain ol' ugly...
    [​IMG]
  5. Didou

It's on Win98 BTW. I know there's a way of getting Thief2 to work on Win2K but I haven't bothered to do it.;)
  6. ToRN

ToRN TS Rookie Posts: 189

3D accelarated?

Are you sure the game is actually using 3D acceleration in 16 bit mode?
  7. Didou

Yes I'm sure, it's in D3D. The thing is I get that problem with other games :(

Just to make sure I tryed running UnrealT in 16 bit & it looked pretty bad too...

Maybe he should consider a Kyro card instead. I guess a Kyro 1 card is as powerfull if not more then a radeon VE ( he doesn't watch DVDs ).

The Radeon VE doesn't have TnL so going to a Kyro won't be a problem ( he has a Duron 1200 anyways ).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.