Horrific Reboot Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycho1974

Hey, guys. I'm looking for help for my dad, and as I got great help from the boards the last time I had a serious issue, I'm hoping you can help.

He's got an HP desktop something-or-other, about a year and a half old. He recently had issues updating his office software (proprietary office management software), and the only help solution was for the help desk guys to remote login to his computer. They installed something called LogMeIn, which allowed them to remotely control this computer, check the software, and make necessary changes to either.

Naturally, I'm a little suspicious that since this scenario played out, the computer has been suffering from spontaneous reboot loops. After logging in, it'll be okay for about five minutes, at which point the computer performs a cold reboot. That is to say, as if I had pushed the "Reset" button on the front of the case. Upon re-entering the desktop, I get the standard "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. Additionally, trying to shut down via the "Shut Down" option will lead to - you guessed - a reboot instead of a shutdown.

I booted into safe mode this afternoon, with moderate success. I was able to install and run SpyBot S&D, but not Ad-Aware or AVG; the SpyBot run showed around 283 items of interest, mostly from web-related pushed content.

I should mention here that this computer only connects to the internet via a dial-up connection. If the computer decides to stay stable and I am able to dial up and connect somewhere, I am allowed roughly thirty seconds of browse time before a separate process hangs up and takes over control of the modem. When I check the Network Connections section of the Control Panel, I am greeted with the standard dial-up connection (disconnected, now), and an additional icon for something called "Service" - if that is in fact its name (I think that's just the description, and its name is masked or something).

So.

I removed any LogMeIn references in the startup process through msconfig, but I haven't scanned the registry for it yet; I have also unistalled the program via its uninstall option in the Start Menu. Alas, the spontaneous reboot loop continues once I boot into normal instead of safe mode.

I have tried searching the forums for this very topic, but I fear that I am doing it wrong, if that's possible, for I have yet to find anything in the search results having remotely to do with a reboot loop.

Any help you good people could give me would make me sleep easier. I'm at that age where my parents drive me crazy, but I'm responsible enough to make sure I fix their problem. I'm sure most of you can relate.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Go into safe mode
Open the Control Panel
Open Administrative tools
Open Event Viewer
Click on "System" logs
Look for any System Errors or Bugchecks under the Source column
Double click any errors
Post the following information:

EVENT ID
SOURCE
DESCRIPTION

Okay, here's what I have:

Error messages:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f5656623, parameter3 f078fa20, parameter4 00000000

Bugchecks:
This computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf564c623, 0xefcf7a20, 0x00000000. A dump was saved in: blah\Minidump\Mini062807-78.dmp

Let me know if you need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back