Jul 21, 2002
  1. Hot rod your CD-RW drive!

source: http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/20/147216.shtml?tid=137

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4169

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42344

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4401

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Very interesting, have you tested it to see if it works. It would be nice if it does.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

This worked with my old CD-RW drive - Ricoh MP7040S. I flashed MP7060S bios to it and began burning at 6x instead of 4x without any problems.

4. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I will have to try this little trick. I just bought a 40x LiteOn writer and by reading around a little it looks as if I can o/c it to 48x. Hopefully I'll get around to it in a couple of days and post my results. Burning a CD at 40x I have gotten 3 minutes and 8 seconds on one burn, and under 3 minutes on another!!!

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

might have to try and get my 4x pacific digital to run at 6x. jumping 2x when you are down at 4 is quite an improvement. if that doesn't work, then guess I'll just get a new burner sometime.

6. StormBringer

Like SNG said, 2x is a good boost when you are at slow speeds but I wonder if it would take my new 32x up to say 40x or even my 24x up to 32x. Now that would be nice.

7. SuperCheetah

If says in the post that you can take a 32x all the way up to 48x speeds. After following the links, I found a forum where tons of people have done it and say it works great.

Here's the link:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=46934

8. StormBringer

Yea, I found that a little while after my reply. Too bad my 24x isn't a Lite-On. My 32x is though so I might try it with it.

9. SuperCheetah

Sweet, please post your results up here. I think I'm gonna upgrade my 40x Lite-On to a 48x pretty soon.

10. Mictlantecuhtli

11. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Thankfully my Lite-on 24x10x40x is not overclockable. If it was i would do it, burn a couple cds, break it, and then be pissed off that i became greedy enough to make mine burn at 32x instead of 24x. :D

12. Mictlantecuhtli

A friend of mine upgraded his Liteon 40x to 48x. Says it works great.

13. ss1

ss1 TS Rookie Posts: 106

hmm I have a 32x Sony CDRW burner :). Is there any place where I can obtain such a bios to let it burn at 40x?

ss1.

14. ss1

ss1 TS Rookie Posts: 106

ahh forget it :(. I would have to open up my pc and move the burner from the Secondary PCI ATA Controller to the onboard controller to flash the drive. To much hassle and risk for a small gain.

ss1.

15. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 6,504   +6

maybe its just me, but i can never seem to find cheap CDs that record at higher than 24x.... So I am wondering perhaps that there's no too much point... I mean, 24x is like 3 mins for a full CD anywayz....

still, I am encouraged by posted like Mictlantecuhtli, who seem to have had a positive experience (or rather his friend) .... Anyone else tried this and won???

16. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I just bought a 100 CD spindle of 32x Promedias for $9.99 USD. ;)

17. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Well if any of you have a Samsung CD-RW don't try to overdrive it. It will not work. The software you use to flash the firmware is smart enough to tell the make and model so when you try to use an incorrect firmware it tells you its not for the specific model.

18. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Anything out there for Teac?

I haven't seen anything out there for this brand. I'd love to take my 16x to a 20x or something like that. :)

19. Mictlantecuhtli

I have, and I did try. But my drive is 24x with 256k chip, 32x models have 512k chips so.. the bios won't really fit there.. :haha:
    At least I got the latest 24x bios version :)

20. Mictlantecuhtli

Teac updater checks the version too, so you would need either hack the updater or the BIOS file to bypass it.
    http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/download/firmware/cd-w516eb/explain.html
    ftp://ftp.teac.co.jp/pub/dspd/download/firmware/cdrw/FWUPW516EB05.EXE
    ftp://ftp.teac.co.jp/pub/dspd/download/firmware/cdrw/FWUPW524E03.EXE

21. m1066ad

m1066ad TS Rookie Posts: 16

I just have an old LG drive that won't burn at over 4x :(
    That's usin Nero, it's supposed to be able to burn at 8x...
    Last time I checked, the latest firmware update was back in 2000 :dead:

22. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

What about stability and overall drive life? I would think that this "upgrade" would shorten the life of the drive greatly. In this day an age though, that isnt too much of a deal if a part dies. Usually you can replace it with something twice as fast for half the cost 6 mos later...

23. Mictlantecuhtli

I don't think it'll affect like that as the factories often use the same hardware for different speed versions. They get more profit that way.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.