TechSpot

Hot tech deals: Corsair Obsidian 550D $95, Dell U3014 $999, Lenovo Y510p...

By Ivan Franco
Aug 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. We've got a huge list of hot deals today, a couple of gaming laptops from Lenovo and Alienware, cases from Corsair and Rosewill, the best-in-class Dell U3014 30" monitor (our pick in the Luxury PC build) as well as deep...

Read more

2. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 341   +57

Julio Franco and ikesmasher like this.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,392   +733

Yea and that's the second time that card has been on sale for that price in the last month - awesome deal too.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,392   +733

I appreciate the PC cases and peripherals though, I typically don't find many of those on these weekly deals things...

And I'm looking for a great deal on a PC case right now anyway, I never thought I'd replace a case before anything else lol, but my case is that beat up...

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,925   +548

Thanks for the continued feedback. We've tried to include more components when there are worthy deals. We'll keep them coming, too.

6. Am I the only one tempted to buy a server and install a desktop OS just because it's so freaking cheap? $500 for a quad core Xeon....

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

No HT, so it's like the i5-3470, only clocked lower. 4GB RAM only. 1x 500GB SATA2 HDD. No OS. Dell PSU.

It sucks for a general consumer PC.

8. I'd likely stick some version of linux on it (fedora maybe?). I'm inclined to believe that the PSU is above average, considering it's a server. The chassis would be awesome, being able to hot swap four hard drives out of the front.

I still say the CPU is a bit better then you make it out to be, 8mb of cache vs 6mb and lower power consumption than most quad cores you'll find on the consumer side.

Not a gaming machine, but it seems like it would make a nice workstation.

9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Good deal on that case.

As a person who works with Xeons often (building workstations), I think that deal is horrible. The E3 is basically a locked and lower clocked version of an i5 and i7 like Stick said. I would much rather use that $600 from that whole PC, and put it toward a hexa core Xeon E5 or dual Xeon E5 quad cores. That will do a professional much more good.