TechSpot

Hotels using 'web experience manipulation' to serve ads over free WiFi

By Shawn Knight
Apr 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hotel’s that offer free WiFi access generally get a thumbs-up from most travelers in that regard but it turns out that your destination could actually be making money from you…

Read the whole story

2. Just use Firefox with adblock plus - problem solved

3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Eventually they'll have to be laws passed to prevent this kind of hijacking. Net neutrality (<i>real</i> neutrality, not the current administration's attempt to control the internet) can't come soon enough.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I suppose the solution, sad as it is, would be to insert text advising the client of this "feature" in the free WiFi usage agreement nobody reads.

5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

It seems more then a bit shady to me. Inserting your ads over the ads that a company has already paid for seems not only immoral but down right stinks of theft. It also shows that Marriot will go to any length to make money, even if they have to steal it from other companys. I guess I wont be staying at any marriots. If they can inject information into a device be it a laptop or a tablet or a phone, what are they taking out? I know some ppl here will say im being a bit paranoid, but thats the first thought I get after reading this article.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,126   +729

Hmm... Free WiFi with ads, or no free wifi at all. We already comlain when they charge $10 /day for wifi (which some do). I'll take the free wifi with ads, and I have a phone i can tether with unlimited (but very slow *cough SPRINT*) data.

Tyger, nothing in the story said this software would remove other's ads, only that it would insert new ones. Did I miss it?

7. What's the problem? Not everything can be for free in the Internet world!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.