Hotfile agrees to pay $80 million to settle MPAA copyright case

1. File-sharing website Hotfile agreed on Tuesday to pay $80 million to settle its copyright infringement case with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). The website also agreed to cease operations until it effectively implements "digital fingerprinting" -- a copyright filtering...

Read more
  2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

I wonder who exactly the money goes to and what it's used for
  3. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 839   +20

Of course, hollywood just lost $200 million on the death of that actor Paul due to the fast and furious movie which starred him and has to be refilmed.. Net $120 million loss.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,096   +222

The MPAA should use that money to develop the Anti copyright system themselves the lazy Gits! They sue and get a big payday they dont do anything except walk away with their wallets full they should be sued and banned from sueing and doing anything copyright related until they get their act together!

If the MPAA actually did develop a anti copyright system that all file sites can use THAT will be the first thing the MPAA has actually done that is beneficial to the anti-copyright system...

Maybe I should get a loan to start a business where I sue companies like the MPAA that sue others for stuff they dont understand and walk away with their wallets full.
    So I can actually say force the MPAA to stop doing anything copyright related until they start providing a way for sites like hotfile to find copyrighted material and until they actually do that they cant sue a single person otherwise I will sue them again then ask for a permanent ban for terrible business practices and bullying companies to give them money for things they should be helping prevent like copyright.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,605   +80

Just give it to charity.
  6. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 477   +48

"This judgment by the court is another important step toward protecting an Internet that works for everyone," MPAA's CEO and Chairman Chris Dodd said
    Does he realize that his statement is *****ic since he is also screwing some people that use the internet?
    wastedkill likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.