House of the Dragon beats The Rings of Power on pirate sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In a nutshell: While not a widespread phenomenon anymore, piracy continues to drive a significant amount of Internet traffic around the world. TV shows like House of the Dragon and Lord of the Rings are particularly popular, even though the former seems to be way more interesting for P2P pirates.

House of the Dragon and The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power are the two great powerhouses of modern TV fantasy drama. Both shows have amassed a remarkable amount of viewers on legit streaming platforms, but the pirate underground seems to have a particular liking for HBO's dragons-filled production.

According to official and not-so official numbers, House of the Dragon is averaging 29 million viewers per episode. Amazon hasn't offered much data about the LotR prequel, but the company previously stated the show's premiere was watched by 25 million fans. Trying to rate how the two shows compared in BitTorrent downloads, TorrentFreak has partnered with I Know to look at a large sample of transfers on the P2P network over a couple of weeks (September 7-21).

According to the numbers provided by I Know, House of the Dragon wins pirate users' favor by a very wide margin: in the given timeframe, the GoT prequel saw more than 1.4 million estimated downloads on peak days. In total, HotD amassed over nine million downloads in two weeks.

Compared to HotD, The Rings of Power doesn't seem to excite BitTorrent users that much. Amazon's billion-dollar production collected a total of 650k estimated downloads, beating HotD by a small margin shorty after a new episode was released and collecting a total of five million downloads.

As for the countries with the most House of the Dragon downloads, the data sampled by I Know shows that Russia is in the lead. It's a sign of the times, considering how much Russian users are cut off from access to legal services as a result of international sanctions after the invasion of Ukraine. HotD pirate downloads are also rather popular in Brazil, the US, India, the UK, South Africa, China, Philippines, Australia and France.

TorrentFreak highlights how public torrent downloads are just a small fraction of the entire piracy activity nowadays, as most users have switched from peer-to-peer sharing to streaming sites whose activity cannot be measured so easily. Rating HotD popularity is an interesting exercise anyway, as Game of Thrones was the most torrent-shared TV show of the past years.

Permalink to story.

The low number of pirated Amazon RoP may be and due to much more people having Amazon Prime and video subscriptions than HBO. So fewer people went to pirate Amazon RoP.
As for some of us, I did not have time to watch any of them.

Last edited:
But RoP reviews on YT are hilarious. I am in love with Galadriel. Tolkien would be deeply saddened if he saw his creation so vandalized.

Sadly, the biggest ill comments for RoP, like this one, is mostly due to a lead black character.
So, RoP can have monsters, demons, etc. but wait... "A lead black Elf character... OMG... the outrage!" (like a fictional character really have a lineage, etc. 😏).

I mean... monsters, etc. are allowed but shame on a black artist and that would deeply sadden Tolkien?!

You just admitted to his racism at Tolkien (if true) and obviously if that's the situation, he is better off where he is right now.

I've had watched both shows and IMHO, RoP has a much better crew, untold story, thriller and action and the very unfair ratings is due to sick people, like always and it's great to see Amazon has filtered out that trash. Haters are gonna hate and Amazon has enough in its war chest to beat'em all. I mean... just look how long dull/boring Friends and Everyone Loves Raymond were on air for. So, hate on! 😂

Last edited:
Sadly, the biggest ill comments for RoP, like this one, is mostly due to a lead black character.
So, RoP can have monsters, demons, etc. but wait... "A lead black Elf character... OMG... the outrage!" (like a fictional character really have a lineage, etc. 😏).
No this is used an excuse by those that enjoy the show. In reality, it's poorly written with some bad acting and lets be honest, downright boring.
House of Dragons may be predictable but the acting is overall better and it's MUCH better writing means it isn't boring or at least, not to the extent that RoP is.

No this is used an excuse by those that enjoy the show. In reality, it's poorly written with some bad acting and lets be honest, downright boring.
House of Dragons may be predictable but the acting is overall better and it's MUCH better writing means it isn't boring or at least, not to the extent that RoP is.

Unless you cover your eyes (and plug your ears) on most RoP reviews, that "excuse" is very valid.

Unless you cover your eyes (and plug your ears) on most RoP reviews, that "excuse" is very valid.
I mean, it's an industry trend at this point, I can point you to many examples of TV shows or films that were just bad, They weren't bad because they were forcing Women, or LGBT or black lives matter into the show, they were bad because they were all poorly written, badly casted and not very well thought out.

Most company's are now using the political agenda they forced into their shows to shootdown legitimate feedback. Basically saying "oh you don't like black people or women? What a racist" when that's not normally the case. It's just a terribly written show or film and even mentioning the forced political agenda instantly makes you racist by these company standards now.

Hopefully it'll bite them in the arse in a few years, when Marvel are done trashing all their franchises, Disney has made sure Star Wars is truly dead and Amazon has spent millions on Lord of Rings just to rest its corpse back into the ground, hopefully the good writers will get re-hired and all this forced political nonsense will stop.

Creating a character with a backstory, purpose and a reason to be in a story and just so happens to be Black or a woman isn't even that hard a thing to write, but these studios choose to just replace known characters with a politically friendly cast and then proceed to implement and write them badly.

Basically, all creativity appears to have been lost in the industry.

I haven't heard bad things about HOTD, yet.

I've heard enough from the poorest excuses of humanity in existence cheerleading ROP to know it's garbage.

I must have missed it because I didn't see those shows mentioned in the OP.

Uhm...

While not a widespread phenomenon anymore, piracy continues to drive a significant amount of Internet traffic around the world.

TorrentFreak highlights how PUBLIC TORRENT DOWNLOADS are just a small fraction of the entire piracy activity nowadays, as most users have switched from peer-to-peer sharing to streaming sites whose activity cannot be measured so easily.

Clearly, these statements made the discussion a free for all open discussion that you've missed. 🙄

Most piracy happens over direct download sites these days. such as nitroflare, rapidgator, zippyshare. Way faster than torrents and untraceable by the MPAA unlike torrents.

HOD is ok, bordering on decent. Far below the quality of early GoT but good enough to waste an hour watching.

RoP on the other hand is just awful. I don't care about the colour of any of the character's skin, nor any of the other woke-bashing nonsense. The show is simply terribly written, terribly acted and with a plot that makes me more look forward to the Sunday drudge around the garden centre. Anyone that thinks this show is anything above painfully mediocre would probably get significant joy from watching Peppa Pig's nuanced plot and superior character development, if they could take 5 minutes out of their crayon-eating schedule.

thanks for the tips ;)
go to a website like 2dll or rlsbb they post all the releases daily... then download a program called Jdownloader 2 post the links into jdownloader and it will download the files like a torrent client... Cool fact jdownloader also can download any youtube video as well as convert it into a sound file automatically.

When no arguments, use insults to prove your point.
Great, great job you beautiful young person ;)
Ha angry old white person angry that black person got leading role in some tv series and then calls it woke. lol. I agree old people should sit down and keep their racist crap to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back