How Apple maintains prices virtually everywhere

By Rick
Jan 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Say what you will about Apple and why its products deserve (or don't deserve) their respective price tags, but here's an interesting, tangential query: how exactly does Apple maintain such consistent pricing across so many vendors? Macworld believes they have...

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Interesting article. Sounds like a form of price fixing. May be why I don't know any small tech shops that sell iphones.
  3. If we did this is would be seen as bribes/kick-backs, legal wording way around this. You pay this amount and/or sign this contract for this price and I pay you under the table kind of dealing
  4. This stuff has all eternity there, its not only apple, its sony, samsung,etc etc even mobile carriers selling phones or plansdo the same, but the tactics seems tricky but see it as this....the product is one thing and apple just the dealer(and not considered the producer),then apple is just like walmart or best buy or any other store, so they fix the price so apple receives the same profit as walmart, and the difference with the "Other stores" is that they receive just less than apple (we dont know how much) and in that way they close all the third party distribution channel.
  5. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

In Australia EVERYONE has to do this, so it is not simply some amazing feat of generosity from Apple...
  6. Apple totally suck.

Every day there os more evidence of it.

Get a Win8 phone or die.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,809   +702

Hmmm... Apple must be The Mob's undergraduate.
  8. Sir Alex Ice

Sir Alex Ice Newcomer, in training

Yeah, one small problem with price control: it reeks of monopoly and it is against free market and competition.
    Not to mention it is illegal even in back water countries like Romania, where price fixing is severely punished if proven.
  9. Good thing they do it in America, then.
  10. taimuraly

taimuraly TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 115

Don't think that is the case here in UAE, Dubai. My Dad bought an iPhone 5 64GB for AED 4099 ($ 1116.01) where as the price listed on the online Apple UAE Store is AED 3,399 ($ 925.43).

The shop is a well known electronics retailer in the Middle East and even has a separate Apple branded section. But Apple products do come in here through the grey market so it might just be that the store isn't actually an authorized retailer.

( By the way my dad bought the 64GB because he was told by the salesman it was faster -_- )

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.