TechSpot

How can I convert AVI files

By m109xca
Oct 23, 2004
  1. Can someone please help, I transfer files to DVD and CD but they are in AVI how can I convert them please

2. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Posts: 147

You need a conversion application. Here's a free one I've heard is good but I have not used it myself. http://www.tmpgenc.com/ I use ULead Media Studio, but I also paid through the nose for it. It IS worth every cent.

3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Many newer DVD players can play DivX and XviD AVIs directly so you can just copy the files to the CD/DVD.

5. scotiawhiskers

scotiawhiskers TS Rookie Posts: 27

I've had a lot of success with a program package I got from a link on doom9. It is called DIKO free 0.73 and is excellent in terms of the quality. It is also all legitimate free software. It does take a long time to convert, but creates DVD videos at about 2-3Gb per hour which scan through (forwards and backwards) and have fixed 5 minute chapter points. It is useful to have a copy of VOBedit and IFOedit if you are joining several smaller clips, as otherwise it will just play the first one on a standalone unless you catch the track forward button at the right moment. Downsides are the time to convert (usually about 2-3 hours per Gb of finished video) and the fact that the conversion process needs about 15-20Gb of space to write to. Don't worry though as you can delete all of the stuff it creates except the DVD Video files which you want to burn!

6. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

believe it or not
    nero has converted about 95% of my avi's without error
    xilisoft another goode
    then there's mainconcept
    render times may vary more memory faster render
    don't use nero to author takes to long
    movies and congressional sessions I have converted about 600
    some I made

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

WTF is it with people digging up ancient threads?!

8. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter can help you to convert avi to dvd.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.