TechSpot

How can I get rid of this?

By Doctor Gallop
Jul 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi fellas, At the bottom of my screen there is the bar where all the icons are of the applications that are running. How can I take off the ones I don't want there?
    If I close some of the programs, the icon of the program will leave, but some of them won't!
    Any advice or suggestions?
    Thanks
  2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Right click on them and exit them. Then click start, run and type msconfig. Click on Startup and uncheck the programs you don't want to start when Windows starts. Carefully!!!
  3. Doctor Gallop

Doctor Gallop TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 201

Thanks for the post Fastco.
    I have been using my bought and paid for, windows XP for 2 years now with no problems and yesterday I find a "blue star" icon at the bottom of the screen. When I run my cursor over it to try to exit it, [there is none], it says: 'You may be the victim of software counterfieting'!
    That's the icon I would like to get rid of.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,436   +218

You must have installed the patch from Windows Update. You may have bought your copy of Windows but it's saying your copy is a pirated copy. Short of buying a new, legit copy of Windows, you can't get rid of it unless you reformat, I think.
  5. blue_dragon

blue_dragon TS Rookie Posts: 278

system restore

no need to reform when you can do a system restore to an earlier point :)
  6. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.