How can I install new Samsung multifunction printer onto wireless network?

Hi there I just bought a new Samsung printer model no. CLX-3180 series. It is a multifunction color laser printer. The disc that Samsung issued me with for installation is not working. I have attempted to install it by doing what it says:
1. I set up the printer and connected the printer to the wireless router via ethernet cable.
2. I searched using wireless setup option on the disk for the computer on the network. It reported back that it could not find it so I was unable to install it wirelessly as it says it is not connected to the LAN network, which it is.
3. I then plugged it in via USB and attempted to install it via the disc. This did not work so I tried to do it through windows. This worked and I was able to print from the desktop through the USB.

This is all good and well but we have 3 other computers on the network and they can't print!!!

Any help would be much appreciated

We have a netgear wireless router by the way we 4 ethernet ports and attempting to install on Vista. (There is another Vista computer and 2 Macs on the network)

To set up the printer for wireless use you need to assign it an IP address which it will transmit for the PC's in the network to log on to. If the printer does not have its own screen it will need to be connected by cable to a PC in order to do this.

If the setup disc will not run get a replacement as you need to install the printer drivers in all your PC's.

If you cannot replace the disc you will have to go the the Samsung site and download the drivers from there that are for your OS's.

As you now have the printer running off one PC you will need to install the printer drivers on the other PC's and then activate printer sharing. If I new what OS you are using on all the PC's I could give more details.

I just fussed with a similar setup.

You have three install options
  1. local install on ONE pc using USB
    In this case, you need to use Print/File Sharing to allow the other PCs to see it.
  2. A network install using a wired connection to the router
  3. A network install using a WiFi connection
In the Network connections, PFS is not needed.

Uninstall everything already done for this device and start over.
The WiFi connection is a tad convoluted, and getting the wired connection running will make it easier to swap to the WiFi.

* Connect the printer (wired) to the routed
* Using the Install CD, Start the install as Networked and for my Dell Printer, there was an 2nd option of Local vs Remote - - choose Local. This will install all the network software and get the printer running from the router.
As already noted, you will need to set the TCP parms and be sure that you set an address outside the router's DHCP range (Linksys uses 100-149 so set the IP < 100)

Once done, this pc should be able to print the test page.

Then you can go to the other PCs and Add Printer, point at the chosen IP address and install the print drivers.

Dear Jobeard,

The info you gave me is really handy. I have just found out that the wireless internet router I was using does not have printer server capabilities. It is a netgear and when I was plugging in the printer the ethernet port didn't light up - part of the problem.

In terms of the options you listed above I have tried no. 1. When I did this I managed to install the printer via USB onto my dell vista laptop. I was then able to print from the computer when the USB was plugged in. I tried to set up a share computer group but am worried I got lost. I first attempted setting it up on the Dell inspiron laptop running vista but it would not print. And then on the mac I got lost again.

Could you walk me through how to set up a sharing printer on all these computers?

Also, a bit of info on the dell desktop. The computer itself never had wireless capabilities, so it is directly connected to the netgear wireless internet router. We also bought a d-link USB wireless adaptor for it to connect wirelessly, so the add on does give it wireless capabilities. Not sure if that changes things.

In terms of your no. 2 I don't think it was working for us because of the netgear not having printer-server capabilities. And no. 3 - I don't know how to do a wifi install!

Now I have one more thing. I also have another router which I originall bought for an adsl connection before we switched to cable. It's a dynalink RTA1025W and I'm not sure if it has printer capabilities. But if it does, I may/may not be able to install through that modem? I still don't know how I'd go about doing that hahaha.

Many thanks to you!

hmm; A networked printer (ie one that can take an IP address) does not need a print-server - - it uses the PC Spooler :).
A Print-server is connected like this
Code:
router---Print.Server==USB-connected--Printer
while you are using
Code:
router===(Ethernet Rj45 or WiFi connection)Printer

Yeah see the computer says it's ready for networking and just to plug it into a wireless router. I have an IP address for it but it is not being picked up by the installation software and the light isn't blinking on the netgear. Could it be a problem with my router's settings?

verify that the router IP address A.B.C.x

matches the Printer A.B.C.z

only the X & Z can/must be different

I found it:
My router IP address is: 192.168.0.1
My printer IP address is: 192.0.0.192

Should I make them match?
YEP!!! The difference shown is why the printer is not seen :)

Make the printer 192.168.1.200 - - this will be outside the usual DHCP range of assignments and thus avoid any possible conflict with another system

Back