TechSpot

How can I learn to hack constructively?

By Envergure
Mar 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I would like to learn how to hack things in a constructive way, legally and without risking damaging anything, but I don't know where to start. I figure it could be fun and a maybe useful skill.

Thanks
    - Chris

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Depends what you are 'hacking'. If its stuff online, I think that violates your legally clause. If you are talking physical things, then that violates 'without risking damaging'.

www.hackaday.com is a cool site you might want to check out.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,691   +1,879

I saw a book on Windows hacks once. The author's testimonial was that "if I knew thern, what I know now, I would never have gone to jail". I forget the exact name though, either the author, or the book.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

hacking: generic derogatory term given to people that invade and alter software;

but what specifically do you mean by the term?
    Learning to
    • fix software
    • change embedded options for your environment
    • bypassing password verification
    • ... you fill-in the blank ...

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,691   +1,879

The irony is, that if you have to ask, you may not be good at it. I would think you'd have to learn several programming languages first. That should keep you busy for a while.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Hacking devices to make them more functional though is cool.

7. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Guess I have to ask also: give us a 'for instance' what it is you think you want to do that isn't available through open source?

From my reading though, I thought 'hackers' were just born that way- they didn't need lessons!

8. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

If it isn't available through open source, then it is through nefarious means.

9. Bobbye

Well I guess I nailed that CAMusing!

10. ultragrey

ultragrey TS Rookie Posts: 61

Learning the way computer talk is the key to convince any machine to do anything.
    [​IMG]

11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I've completed some courses in an area called CEH - Certified Ethical Hacking. Some of these can be pretty pricey, but they should be pretty easy to locate. Here's an example of one I found with a quick google search http://www.fastlaneus.com/course/fl-cehbc

12. Bobbye

Wow Papa- big price comes with this course>>>>> Price US $ 3,795

I'll stick with tweaking- it works for me! Tweaking is on your own system, hacking is not. So I guess it depends on just what you want to do!

13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Yeah - it's fairly pricey but you can find better deals on it. Even with a good deal you'll be paying $#,### though.