Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang's message to kids: generative AI means you don't need to learn...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: For decades, we've heard the same mantra from tech billionaires: if a young person wants to make it within the industry, they must learn to code. Now, Jensen Huang has given the opposite advice. The Nvidia boss believes that AI has made the need to learn programming redundant, and humans should instead focus on more important skills such as biology, education, manufacturing, or farming.

Speaking at the recent World Government Summit in Dubai, Huang admitted that his statement was the opposite of what most tech luminaries have said over the past 10 or 15 years: that everybody, especially children, should learn to program.

"It is our job to create computing technology such that nobody has to program. And that the programming language is human," said the CEO. "Everybody in the world is now a programmer. This is the miracle of artificial intelligence."

This isn't the first time Huang has made such statements. Almost exactly one year ago at Berkeley Haas University's Dean's Speaker series, Huang talked about how ChatGPT's program-writing abilities could change the landscape. "Literally everyone can program a computer," he said. "We have democratized computing in a very, very large way."

Generative AI's relationship with programming is a contentious topic. Stability AI boss Emad Mostaque believes it could replace a large number of human coders, especially in India, where he says outsourced jobs in this field face extinction by next year due to AI advancements.

Legendary game developer and id Software founder, John Carmack had something to say about the matter, too:

On the other side of the argument, the quality of the code that AI produces isn't known for its elegance. This was highlighted by a study from Purdue University from last year, which found that ChatGPT got more than half the programming questions wrong. Moreover, plenty of experts have pointed out that previous technologies have promised to kill a certain field, only for that tech to end up being used alongside traditional methods.

Huang has more reason (a few billion reasons) than others to extol the virtues of AI...

Huang added that it is important for people to learn how to use generative AI. "It is vital that we upskill everyone, and the upskilling process I believe will be delightful, surprising," he said.

Huang has more reason than others to extol the virtues of AI. With Nvidia controlling around 80% of the high-end AI hardware market, the company's near $2 trillion market cap has made the leather jacket fan the 21st richest person in the world. Team Green's total earnings hit $22.1 billion during the last quarter, up 265% compared to the same period a year earlier.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, it's vital that you stop using your brain, learning and facing challenges to grow, let Jensen's chips do the thinking for you. Keep the system alive. Hail Nvidia.

Nvidia is a cancer spreading fast and degrading the brain cells of this already disabled generation of technology-dependent people.

I am a much more capable Windows user because I started using computers decades ago when DOS was all we had. I understand what's going on "behind the scenes". In college, I had to write code at the assembler level, and use FORTRAN. Coding is the same. To be truly good at it, you need to understand what's happening at the most basic level. If you don't, you won't be able to write the most efficient, bug free code, and you won't be able to solve complex issues with the code you do write.

Read between the lines. Learn how to correct faulty ai code. Wait is the ai already on autopilot?

I have to say, of the two competing world views -- one in which every person on the planet should be a programmer vs. one in which no one is -- Jensen's is far more likely.

In fact, I'd venture to say that, AI aside, it's very nearly come to pass. A "programmer" using a high-level language like Python and a few stock libraries, already has 99.5% of the work done for them. They don't need to know anything about algorithmic complexity, memory management, binary encodings, discrete mathematics, or a thousand other topics earlier computer scientists did. And the "programs" are in many cases not too different than a plain-English instruction of what you want the machine to do.

AI is just one more step down that road.

I’m sure someone will have to verify the code for security and efficiency long into the future. At what point can we trust the AI made code without knowing what it did?
Probably in 5 years, at least for non-critical code for more simple apps. It's harder to tell for the complicated applications. 10-15 years? maybe less?

IMO, The real reason behind Leatherman spouting this marketing BS is summed up by the following quote:
Huang has more reason than others to extol the virtues of AI. With Nvidia controlling around 80% of the high-end AI hardware market, the company's near $2 trillion market cap has made the leather jacket fan the 21st richest person in the world. Team Green's total earnings hit $22.1 billion during the last quarter, up 265% compared to the same period a year earlier.

Sooner most of us all will be incompetent compared to AI/Android, so we will work where human labor be cheaper than an android, each on it's working fields, just as typewriters. We can't do much about it anyway so just relax and watch our society become a dystopia. We are powerless about it. And I'm not being pessimist.

Gen AI isn't there yet, but he will someday be right. Programming languages have been steadily becoming more abstract over time. The first true 5th gen programming language are LLMs (things like OPS5 and Mercury never really had what it took to be called that, as evidenced by their lack of general use). There are still lots of bugs and capabilities to work out, but the interface between human and machine will generally require fewer skills to operate.

The only people who currently think this way are those who have never used it for actual coding. Last thing we need is a society that relies on these systems totally but with nobody knowing how they work, So yea, Keep learning and teaching code and ignore the salesman with the magic beans.

I think I first heard that programming would soon be obsolete nearly 40 years ago. Business users would simply specify their business rules in diagrams. Of course what was true then is still true now: the "writing code" part has never been the hard part, it was always about getting clarity and consensus on what the program should do in the first place. "AI" assisted tools may end up as one more tool in our already robust toolbox, but there will still be programmers figuring out what to ask it to do.

This. Yet another example of AI being a very expensive solution in search of an actual problem to solve.

Well.... That was the case for laser tech... Now there's laser everywhere.

images

This is in line with the company executives don't need to have knowledge of the companies product/services to be effective concept. If you examine it more closely you find one obvious short coming. It only applies if your looking for the most basic of results. Even if AI doesn't create errors, it's liner in nature and can't make intuitive leaps.

So sure, eventually AI could replace the majority of coders. But that doesn't mean that you'll see higher quality code, just cheaper to produce code. And in my experience the cheaper the product the easier it is to break. When it's a P2W app for your phone, it's not a big deal. When it's the code underlying important infrastructure systems (like banking) the code breaking can have catastrophic results.

I'll stick with talented and knowledgeable people who can prevent this outcome thank you very much...

Yeah, the only issue is that the code is not efficient...

And that sometime Generative AI is feeding you garbage...

Just saying...

If everyone in the world is programmer, that is the best indicator our kids shouldn't be one. Looks like carpentry is a much better investment.

Honestly what an idi0tic comment from Huang. To think so many people hang off his every word and he comes up with tripe nonsense. This is why he is dangerous; his slavish devotion to AI with zero regard for the consequences is a disgrace. He's just a money grubbing scumbag IMO.

Nice speech Huang. Encouraging kids to buy your expensive hardware instead of using their brains.

Worst thing is people will drink his kool-aid just like they bought the "irresponsible amounts of performance" and "the more you buy, the more you save"

Back