How can I make my computer shut down without problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridsade

Here's whats going on. After I'm done using the computer, I close all programs. When I shut it down, it goes to the shut down screen. Then it gets stuck when it says "Windows is shutting down." I wait for it, once I waited almost 5 hours but it's still stuck there. Then I will have to manually press the power button to shut it off.

I'm on Windows XP Home Edition SP3

hi
might not relate to you, but i had a program called window washer installed, i set it to wash at windows shut down, this caused my PC to hang same as yours.

Might be worth checking through msconfig and seeing if any programs you recently installed could be causing it.

Does this occur every time? (in particular, even if you shutdown shortly after you boot/startup or only after running awhile? )

You should also make sure you have all Windows updates installed including Hardware optional updates (be sure to click on Custom when running Windows update)

It occurs about 99% of the time I shut the computer off. I will try that thank you.

In that case, after running Wndows update (clikcing Custom and installing ALL Hardware Optional plus Criticalupdates. Software optional updates are your choice)
Repeat until it finally says no more updates.

The try repeating the test to shut down a few minutes after letting it start up complelety. Also test the case see if problems also occur after Safe Mode startup.

In that case, after running Wndows update (clikcing Custom and installing ALL Hardware Optional plus Criticalupdates. Software optional updates are your choice)
Repeat until it finally says no more updates.

The try repeating the test to shut down a few minutes after letting it start up complelety. Also test the case see if problems also occur after Safe Mode startup.

Thank you so much. It's fine now. Thanks!

ahiadobe, most of us do not recommend using Registry cleaners. The average user does not know how to determine if a "bad entry" is really something that needs to be removed, or if it's a come-on to have you get the free scan then have to buy the programs to remove anything.

The program on your link, Registry Easy, has a Trial Limitations:
offers unlimited scan ONLY, and will only remove problems from 4 sections until it is registered; updates may also differ to those supplied to registered users.

That means that at some point, you are going to have to buy the program to get the full version- this is usually needed to remove any of those "bad" entries. After trying several different screens, I finally found the price for the full version:
A: The Full Price of Registry Easy is US $ 34.95(regular $69.95) --- Save 50%, including a 1 year unlimited upgrade license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back