How can I raise my FPS in StarCraft II?

gmounce

Hello, all! I hope you're not sick of this question. I have a Digital Storm custom build with these specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.00GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
CLEVO CO. W150HNM/W170HN (CPU)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GT 540M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
Hard Drives
313GB Seagate ST9320423AS (SATA)

I am playing Starcarft II on medium to low settings with an FPS of 24 while using EVGA Precision to overclock the vga. Is this an average speed for the build I have? If it is then I guess I just expected more.

your graphics card can't handle heavy games on high resolutions like 1920 x 1080 so there is two ways to raise Fps :
1- lower monitor resolution when you play this game
2- upgrade your graphics card to a better one like nvidia 560M or 570M

Its unlikely he can upgrade the graphics card. I'd say drop the resolution to something like 1440x960.

Also, I think SC2 is affected more by CPU than GPU. I'm not 100% sure as I don't play it, but from what I remember of the old benchmarks I think that was the case.

Just wondering what Sandy Bridge i7 runs at 2Ghz? The non turbo speeds are from 2.8Ghz to 3.4Ghz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

I'm not sure your custom build is configured correctly. Worth checking the Computer properties to check exactly what processor model your computer has. Unless it is overclocked and 2Ghz is the scaled back power saving speed?

Ah, its a laptop processor. That's what confused me with "custom build" :)
I also overlooked "1024MB GeForce GT 540M" which is a mobile graphics card.

I have an i5 520M laptop with AMD 5650 Mobility and I've managed to play SC2 with high graphics for the majority of the game (albeit sometimes tells me in MP that I'm slowing the game so I've recently dropped some settings to medium). Major difference is that my native resolution is only 1366x768. You could try running a lower resolution for a FPS boost as I don't think medium class mobility graphics cards(http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html) really can drive modern games at 1920x1080 with high settings. A drop to 1680x1050 shouldn't look too bad on that screen or the resolution SNGX suggested....

Awesome, thanks for your help! I tried playing at a couple different screen resolutions last night and saw instant results. The card handles medium-high settings now best at when I'm at 1140 or 1366 screen res. Thanks again!

Back