How can I replace my proprietary digital camera software?

By jimflint1
Dec 13, 2005
  1. I just bought an Olympus d-580 camera, which comes with Camedia software that enables you to download pics from the camera to the pc. I haven't even bothered to install the software yet, because my daughter has an Olympus that came wit the same software and it's really junk. Any suggestions for a cheap solution to getting my pics onto the pc without using the Olympus software?
  2. howard_hopkinso

    howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

    Provided you have the camera drivers installed, you should be able to uninstall the Olympus software from add remove programmes.

    Then, when you connect the camera, it should appear as a disk drive in my computer. You can then open the drive and drag the photo`s into whatever folder you like.

    If you need some good free photo editing software. Irfanview is pretty good.

    Regards Howard :)
  3. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

    Even easier, get a card-reader for your camera's memory-card.
    Things like a 7-type external USB card-reader only cost like $12-20.
    Added advantage: you don't drain the camera's battery.
    You just use Windows Explorer to copy the pictures.
  4. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,945   +584

    once pictures are uploaded to the PC, this tool is great for editing and printing digital photos.
  5. jimflint1

    jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

    Thanks, Howard. I already have discovered Irfanview. I used it when I had my old Pentax 35mm photos put on cd, and you're right, it works well.

  6. jimflint1

    jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

    Thanks for the great idea. Is that what I'd call it in google to look up prices (or in or elsewhere)? A "7-type external USB card-reader"?

  7. jimflint1

    jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

    Thanks, Jobeard. I'll definitely give that a try.

  8. mailpup

    mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,873   +330

    They are called Card Readers

    For some examples, go to a site like and search for Card Readers. That will get you started.
  9. jimflint1

    jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

    Thanks a bunch.
  10. jshields13

    jshields13 TS Rookie Posts: 109

    Finally something i know a little about!! I agree with all the above. My camera uses a Compact Flash card. I have a card reader that attaches to a USB slot. My computer treats the reader as another drive, and has assigned a letter to it. After I put the flash card in the reader, all I have to do is open explorer, click on the reader drive letter and cut the pictures from there to a folder I have set up in My Documents called pictures. I use the free photo program from Google called Picasa2, which I like alot. It automatically "sees" the pictures and loads them into the program.

    Sorry to get so wordy. You can find Card Readers on sale at all the chain stores. I have seen them recently for as little as free after rebate.

    Good Luck.

  11. jimflint1

    jimflint1 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 212

    Thank you, Jeff. I've got it to work now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Create an account or login to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.