TechSpot

How can i start up a wireless network for gaming.

By geno2k3
Dec 15, 2007
  1. Hi, currently i have a 10 port router that is wired for all the computers in my house. The problem with that is i wanna go wireless without replacing the 10 port wired router. This is due to the fact that i am getting a PS3 for Christmas, and since i already have a Wii, i might as well find a way to get them both on the net without two extra 100ft ethernet cords that get all in the way. I have heard and read about the PS3 and PSP wifi key which you plug into your computer (via usb) and broadcast the wifi signal through the "key". I am interested in this method but am very hesitant to even try it.
    -How does it work?
    -Will it work for multiple devices?
    -Will the computer that the "key" is connected to still have internet?

If that method is not what im lookin for, please help me find another way. Thanks.

Links:
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/716/716001p1.html (Review for psp wifi key)

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You need a single box - a wireless access point. Forget about those "wifi keys".

3. geno2k3

geno2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 111

please do tell more. =)

4. geno2k3

5. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 574

6. geno2k3

Thanks for the replies... although i really know little about WAP. I know that it does provide internet access for wireless devices.

I decided to purchase the D-LINK WAP and it is coming in today through the mail.

Im going to be sure to post here if i have any questions about it. Since its going to be used for gaming.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.