How can I stop my lappy from going to sleep all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

:mad: My Acer Aspire 5920 puts itself to sleep - whether plugged in or not - after it's had no input for long enough (i've never been there when it went so i don't know exactly how long). This sucks royally because i leave it on overnight sometimes to run downloads and they always fail.

I already have everything set to "never" in Power Settings.

Is there a way to stop it doing that?

Vista Home Premium 64b

Seems to be on some Vista computers, that you cannot turn it off !!
Therefore, you could set it to not turn off for 15Hrs (ie overnight and more)

You could use this batch file (ie save to Notepad, the save as, all files, PConfig1.bat, then run it with Administrator rights (just right click on it)
Anyway, here it is, I found the batch file here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-power-management-on-windows-vista/
powercfg -x hibernate-timeout-ac 900
powercfg -x hibernate-timeout-dc 900
powercfg -x standby-timeout-ac 900
powercfg -x standby-timeout-dc 900
powercfg -x monitor-timeout-ac 900
powercfg -x monitor-timeout-dc 900
powercfg -x disk-timeout-ac 900
powercfg -x disk-timeout-dc 900
powercfg -hibernate on
exit

Let me know if it works

did you check the settings in the bios as well? donno about acer laptops but I can do this settings in my dell laptops bios...

The "workaround" I provided above was because many users are reporting this issue, even if Sleep (or anything to do with Power Management (proprietory or windows) is turned off, in Vista (on some laptops)

Therefore actually turning it on (rather) and setting it for a long delay (many hours) seems to be the best answer

The "workaround" I provided above was because many users are reporting this issue, even if Sleep (or anything to do with Power Management (proprietory or windows) is turned off, in Vista (on some laptops)

Therefore actually turning it on (rather) and setting it for a long delay (many hours) seems to be the best answer

I didn't say I doubt that but I have 3 laptops (dell, lenovo, hp) running Vista without this kind of problem. so, nice workaround but this to me seems not be a common problem in vista.
I do alot of workarounds every day but I rather find a solution than working everything around. no offense but thats lazy :) or maybe I am too german at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back