How can you tell the difference from a computer freeze to a software freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today i was playing a mmorpg then my screen frooze, keyboard responded but i couldnt tab out from fullscreen. checked temps after they are fine with cpufan, all 4 cores stays at 47-50 in load the rest between 25-45, note the pc more than one year old, the coolers are still clean i checked them right after game locked up and i had to do a hard reboot.

this is what i call a software freeze, if the computer freeze i havent had any the past year, the whole thing locks up, keyboard aswell.

i just formatted for the same reason had to do hard restarts forgot to run the checkdisk it recommended and i got the read error upon startup. Anyways now windows and drivers are installed it seems to work fine, it never freezes in windows ofcourse, i only had one freeze so far since yesterday format, but freezes never seem come alone, when i get one i always get more sooner or later.

LOL!! It used to be real easy to figure out if the computer freeze was due to software or hardware. You'd simply hit the "reset" button on your PC. If that worked, it was most likely software that caused the freezing. If it didn't work then you had to cycle the power and that usually means it was hardware. But, for some reason I don't know, most PC canufacturers removed the "reset" button! I find it annoying not having it anymore! A few PC manufacturers still have it but most don't.

The "reset" button simply resets the microprocessor. This means the software starts all over from the beginning (BIOS -> Windows -> Desktop). In tech/engineering jargon, we call it a "soft reset" while a power cycle is a "hard reset" (hardware gets reset as well.) Another set of terms are "warm start" (reset) and "cold start" (power cycle or power up).

-- Andy

And you can look here for the cause: check the time on the computer clock when "it" freezes> follow with this:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

There really isn't any way when it's freezing to decide whether it's caused by a problem with the system itself or a software program. But by checking the Errors that correspond to the times of the freeze, you will find the Error in either the System or Application logs.

This will help give you a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back