TechSpot

How do I delete this icon from my desktop?

By Skizye
Dec 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista and there is an icon on my desktop that I can't delete for some reason. It is a shortcut and I recently uninstalled the program that it goes to. When I try to delete it (or move it into a folder so I don't have to see it on my desktop) Windows gives me a message saying the file is no longer located in my desktop folder and prompts me to try again or cancel.
    I assume when I uninstalled the program (which is Civilization IV, if that matters) it deleted the shortcut as well but left the icon there to clutter up my desktop. Any ideas on how I can delete the icon from my desktop? This is really bugging me. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add when I go to the desktop folder in Windows Explorer the file isn't there but again I can see it on my desktop and am unable to delete it

EDIT2: Now the icon is gone.. Sorry about this, it has been there all day but it's not there now. No idea how I got it to go away
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,369   +302

frequently, programs will create a shortcut in

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    or
    \Users\All Users\Desktop​
    which will then show up for all users under their own logins but not be 'deletable' under those logins.

Tip: login as ADMIN, run->explorer c:\

naviage to the All Users\Desktop
    and delete it there​
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.