How do I disable integrated video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy03p

Hi, My name is Randy and I bought a couple weeks ago a Gateway AthlonXP 3500+ media center, yesterday I bought a GeForce 6600/256MB Video card and before I install it, will my integrated video card automatically be disabled when I install the GeForce in the to the PCI express slot? I was told it would do this, I also was reading on the internet to go into the Bios setting after computer reboots by pressing F2 to disable the on board graphics card,I just do not know which i should do,Please if anyone can help me with this,Thanks

Hello Randy,
On my gigabyte brand board, when I installed my geforce 6200, it automatically disabled the onboard video. If it doesn't do it automatically, then you may have to go into the bios and set a setting like, "display: integrated/pci/pci-e/agp" just select the type you want to use, if your card is pci-e then select pci-e if the option is available. It should be automatic though, mine was.

How do I disable integrated video card

Thanks so much for that info, I only have 2 more hours left of work, then I can go home and install it, Thanks again

I think the 6xxx series is a good series of graphics cards. My "gaming" system has a 6600gt, which is fast, but I put a 6200 in my older pc figuring it wouldn't even be able to keep up, but it runs well. I "unlocked" my 6200 into a 6600(many 6200's actually were 6600's partially disabled at the factory), and it runs games well. It doesn't seem much slower for games than my "gaming rig".
I do use a low res. monitor though(1024x768, or 800x600), and don't use aa/af settings, but like to run my games on max detail.
On a large monitor with aa/af enabled and settings on max, the 6600 will probably be a little slow, but on the lower res.'s, and no aa/af, they can't be beaten.

I am new at all this, I think what is in my computer now is the ATI 200, I think so? Do you think I will notice a big improvement not just in gaming but like watching movies & ect?

I just installed the PX6600 GeForce/256mb in my computer(AMD Athlon64 media center) and I hooked my monitor to the same color plug on the new video card and then my normal plug ins and I booted my computer and when it first started there were blue lines then it got to were you have to log in my password before you can go any farther ( this to keep my small son and daughter off while I am at work) Ok here all I could see was those blue lines and behind those lines I could see were my password would go in but was kind of jumbled, so I turned it off and hooked my monitor directly to my on board video card but everything was black, so I turned back off my computer and I removed the 6600 card and just hooked everything back normal, any ideas what to do? I am desperate.

I didn't see where you installed new drivers for the new card. However, I would avoid the 77.72 driver and go with the 71.89 or earlier.

Randy hook your video card back on and then install the proper driver's for your card. They should have either come with your card in a cd or you could go to nvidia's site and DL the latest drivers. That should fix the problems you see on screen. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies, I did not install any drivers,I am new at this and when I installed the card and had seen those lines and I did not know if I could go any farther because i could not see very good were i was to put my password in on the login screen,and I was told by quite a few people including Gateway that the onboard card should disable, So that all got me worried that i might damage my computer.Ok if I put card back in, should I fix it so that I have no login screen before computer fully loads? and if the screen is like that with the lines and hard to see behind them, Can I still load the drivers that came with my card? Sorry to ask these questions, I am just afraid I will do something I can not fix or have fixed. Computer is a Gateway 827GM, AMD Athlon64 3500+,

PS, with me seeing those lines just as computer was booting and then when on, would this be a bad card? I hope not! maybe because I had not installed drivers, sorry for all these questions

That's what I thought at first, a dud card, but I guess it could be driver related.
My card worked(no lines) when I installed it, but it was really low res(640x480) and low refresh rate(60hz) until I got the driver installed.

Update on How do I disable integrated video card?

I returned the Geforce PX6600-256 and I bought a ATI Radeon 700 Pro and installed it and my onboard video card automaticaly disabled and everything is working great!

Thanks for the reply, and all the info you have gave me, it helped so much, as far as the card and returning it, I had bought it from Gateway and they have a 14 day return, they could not replace the card but will refund my money, and they emailed me the RMA numbers and i took it to a Fed-Ex return office, and they are refunding my money back, and so I just went to my local Circuit City and bought the ATI card, but even though I had to send back the other card, Gateway during all this have been awesome, My first Gateway Computer and the support they have gave me has just been great. and thank you for your support also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back