How Do I Disable My Onboard Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
to disable onboard video, you must turn it OFF in BIOS.

Read the BIOS update guide in the guides forum if you are considering updating a bios.

After reading the manual, I don't think you are able to disable on the onboard video. Either you need to get a different kind of motherboard, or you will have to stick with what you got. Sorry.

he is referring on how to disable onboard video in order to plug in a more powerful video card. Unfortunately, he cannot on his particular motherboard.

Connecting a monitor

poundnnail said:
I'm not sure what you mean, Don't connect a monitor, connect it to a video card. Sorry not to smart on this subject.
There are 2 ways to do this.
1.The Motherboard has onboard video and a place to plug in a monitor.
*** If you don't connect anything there,
it's "disabled" unable to work.
So,what video card do you have plugged in PCI OR AGP ?
Is it not working ?
Thats a possible reason to disable Onboard,read your mbd manual.
Where you plug it is where the OS detects it.
So explain your Topic Title better.
No you don't need a bios update.:confused:

ignore zipperman. There is NO WAY to disable onboard video on your current motherboard. It is not even offered as an option in your BIOS.

You will need to change motherboards and rebuild your system from scratch (reinstall windows) if you wish to use an external video card.

Another closely related issue

Apart from disabling in the BIOS, although in most cases in my experience I have not found this to be necessary in order to add a video card, there's a background question. In some cases, on board video has dedicated video memory; in others, it uses a user-specified (in the BIOS) amount of main memory. You can see this on the general tab if you right click My Computer and click properties. For example, a 1024 MB-equipped machine will show as 960 MB if you have 64 MB allocated to video. If, after installing the new video card, this is still the case, then two problems arise:

1. You aren't getting full use of your system memory's address space for applications.
2. You aren't getting full use of your memory bandwidth, which brings with it a reduction in performance.

The reason for the former is obvious, and it will also bring a performance reduction, proportional to the increase in swapfile activity caused by the smaller usable address space. The reason for the latter is that when video shares memory, the display circuitry reads the allocated memory at the refresh rate (60 Hz, 75 Hz, etc.) While it has control of the bus, applications and the OS are blocked from adressing memory over that bus. The OS also has to arbitrate for access to memory for general purpose use with the refresh circuitry. The combination of blocked access time and bus arbitration overhead can result in a performance hit that is enough to make the machine noticeably slower.

Manufacturers did this to reduce cost and add functionality to the motherboard, but for speed jockeys, that's a minus. I've never seen any mention of whether disabling the onboard video or adding a video card stopped this from happening (i.e., shut off the refresh circuitry). I've also never gotten around to testing this.

Has anyone ever checked?

Ignore Tedster

ignore zipperman. There is NO WAY to disable onboard video on your current motherboard. It is not even offered as an option in your BIOS.

You will need to change motherboards and rebuild your system from scratch (reinstall windows) if you wish to use an external video card.

Where you connect your monitor cable is what Device Manager uses.
It can't operate something not connected.
So install the type of video plug and play that your MBD accepts.
Its very unlikely it doesn't have a choice.
This is where haveing a mbd manual and cd is necessary.
Internal drivers are on your mbd cd,and installed cards should include a
cd with it's drivers.
Do you have these items ? Should explain everything.

Where you connect your monitor cable is what Device Manager uses
That's the monitor device, not the Video card device
Most users do not install their specific monitor driver (usually just an inf holding their model number, that's about it) because Monitors are usually set up as "Plug and Play Monitor" (which is all they need for Windows)

Video card device

Most users do not install their specific monitor driver (usually just an inf holding their model number, that's about it) because Monitors are usually set up as "Plug and Play Monitor" (which is all they need for Windows)

I think that means you agree with me.
As described in my mbd manual "disable onboared video"
If you have a Plug and play card.I did.Heres my results.No driver for monitor.
Just my PCIx video card.:grinthumb

Yes you're right. Although I didn't realize it at the time!
Plugging in the video (cable) to the addon video card, will disable (automatically) the onboard video (if exists)

Anyway, I've already stated this in Post#2
Can't see any disable function, so it must Auto Disable on AGP card through Plug and Play

By the way, this thread is old March 2008
poundnnail has probably got it fixed by now (I hope)
I think gsteele531 was just adding info to an old thread.

It may be old,but

Yes you're right. Although I didn't realize it at the time!
Plugging in the video (cable) to the addon video card, will disable (automatically) the onboard video (if exists)

Anyway, I've already stated this in Post#2

By the way, this thread is old March 2008
poundnnail has probably got it fixed by now (I hope)
I think gsteele531 was just adding info to an old thread.

According to asus disable it in the bios too.
Thats why i replied.
I got an email notice today,July 14 2008

I know what you mean

No, Post#2 supplied manual (ie the computer in question!)
Not all Asus computers are the same. Due to:
Age of computer ie model and the bios revision.
But its the best i can do is by compareing mine to his.
Thats why i insist on haveing and reading a mbd manual.
I won't say what,but read all cd sections.
Got a better idea ? :D

This is Simple... hers how you do it..

Start -> (right click) My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> (right click) Your onboard video -> disable -> restart Computer

Actually that will work :)
But you need it running originally when installing the software for the addon card
After that, disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back