How do I disable WordPad?

Doctor Gallop

Hello Peoples,
Can someone tell me how to delete or disable Note Pad and Word Pad in
Windows 7.
I downloaded a small word processor to use but all doc.files open in Word Pad!
I have tried to go through the default file association procedure to change it, but when it says choose another program to use to open such files.....my program 'AbiWord' is not listed for me to choose!

There should be a "Browse" button that you can click on to locate the exe file manually. It's not there? Say you right click on the doc, select Open With, then Choose Default Program. The Browse button is at the lower right.

If I click on the file I want to open it opens in Word Pad. If I right click on the file it says "open" and then still opens in Word Pad. I see no browse button to choose another program to use.
If I go through the default file association procedure it does not show 'AbiWord' as a program to choose as default.

I just downloaded and installed this word processor and I found exactly the same problem. It would appear though that once you have opened any document (or created a new one) with this program it then saves it in a different format which does open the software when you click on the file.

I am quite sure that disabling Note or Word pad will make no difference. Once any document has been saved through Abiword it creates the association. I also have EditPad Lite 7 and BBeditor which work the same way.

Back