How do I download MS updates again?

gbhall

Windows XP-Pro sp3 in question here.

To automatically download of MS patches, but not automatially install, is my preference. Having elected to install June's downloaded updates, my PC would only boot to a black screen with underscore, so I suspect either a conflict with my software or a corrupted download.

I recovered my PC from a drive image backup, with the downloaded patches already there awaiting installation. Because of suspected corruption, I now wish to enforce a fresh download of the patches before trying them one-by-one.

Can anyone suggest how that can be done - either delete the waiting downloads from wherever they are, or select them for download again?? How ??

I always use a program called Dial-a-Fix (yeah, I was reluctant when I first saw the name too) to fix problems with Windows Updates.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml

You'll see an option to Flush Software Distribution. This will clear out the info regarding currently installed updates and updates waiting to be installed. Your pc will recreate the history next time it checks for updates and will re-download the updates it needs.

I always use a program called Dial-a-Fix (yeah, I was reluctant when I first saw the name too) to fix problems with Windows Updates.

I had a hard time downloading just that app without getting several other things I did not want, but eventually managed it. Sadly, I could barely understand the help describing what the 'flush software' button will do, and chickened out of using it.
Fired up a direct connection to MS windows update instead, which offered the same updates already downloaded, so I did it that way instead

If you Flush Software Distribution, the program will clear out the info regarding currently installed updates and updates waiting to be installed. This will cause your pc to rebuild its update history list by re-checking all of your currently installed updates and then download any remaining updates next time you run windows update.

Glad you got it fixed though.(y)

Back