TechSpot

How do I enable USB ports without mouse or keyboard

By kayvaanshrike
May 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all, I have a bit of a problem my usb ports are disabled and that means my mouse and keyboard don't work so how do I enable the usb ports without a mouse and keyboard? please help...

2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

When you say they're "disabled" do you mean Device Manager shows their status as Disabled? Or do you mean they just don't work (i.e. no USB devices get recognized/ no USB devices will work).

If they just aren't working, try this trick. It's a long shot but sometime it really does work! (e.g. see HERE)

Unplug computer power cord from the wall. If a laptop, remove the battery also. Disconnect all devices from all ports. Let the computer sit for an hour or two. Then plug everything back in and try again

G;luck!

3. kayvaanshrike

kayvaanshrike TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes I did disable the usb ports in device manager on my pc sorry I didn't make myself clear

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

If this is a desktop, I suggest borrowing a PS/2 mouse and keyboard (if you don't already have one) and then you can use them to re-enable your USB ports.

5. kayvaanshrike

kayvaanshrike TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah it's a desktop and no it don't have ps/2 ports. I bought a usb pci card and it works perfect. Lol when I asked about how to fix my pc at pc world they wanted £250 to fix it lol... I only paid £11 for the usb card works like a charm ;)