How do I extract data from an external Sata HD on Windows 7?

By angelam72
Apr 9, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a MAC that crashed. I bought a USB connector to connect to the SATA HD. When I hooked it up to my PC, my PC cannot see it as an external HD.

I am running Windows 7.

I see the drive in the Disk Manager, but I cannot assign a drive letter to the partition where all the data is.

How do I get the data off?
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,289   +262

You'll need to get something to add HFS+ support to your Windows 7 box - there are several products that do this but I don't remember having used any of them. There is also the option of trying to boot to a live Ubuntu (or other linux) CD and including both NTFS and HFS+ support on it. Then you copy the data from the HFS+ drive to your NTFS drive. I'm not sure how difficult it's going to be to add support for these when using a live CD, but it might be as simple as going to Synaptic.
  3. angelam72

angelam72 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

HFS+

How do I add HFS+ support? Is this a software?
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,289   +262

Yes, it is a piece of software. Some are free and some have cost, but again I say I cannot recommend any because I don't remember if I've used it before. I have HFS+ and NTFS support added to my Ubuntu installs because I deal with these types of filesystems all the time, but I've never tried it with a live CD.

Here is an article about HFS+ and it includes a couple of links that may interest you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Windows
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.