How do I find IP address of a site.

By thewolfe
May 1, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How do I find IP address of a site.

How do I find the IP address of web sites?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

Open up the command prompt, and type tracert "then the www address of your site without the quotes"
    then hit enter, you will see the site's IP right after you hit enter.

example
    tracert www.techspot.com
  3. dani_17

dani_17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 208

Even faster,

ping www.techspot.com

tracert sometimes takes longer to get to the destination, because what it does is show you all the jumps you do till you get to the final server you are tracing, (in this case www.techspot.com)
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

well sort of dani

When you do a tracert, it immediately identifies the IP then you can close the window. So I don't think its faster, and tracert gives you more information, whether you want to watch it load up or not is your choice. But you get the IP just as fast (well within a few milliseconds) as you do with ping.
  5. dani_17

dani_17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 208

SNGX1275, youre right, my mistake. I don't know where did i get that... maybe in Win98 it was that way?? Anyone with Win98 can test if tracert returns the ip inmediatly?
  6. Goalie

Goalie Newcomer, in training Posts: 703

You can check an IP addy by looking it up through ping/tracert. You can also look up the IP on a site like arin.net or verisign.com and look up their registration info to get the information if you suspect the problem lies inbetween you or at your name server- if you can access something through IP and not through name, well it's somewhat helpful.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.