How do I format a hard disk with a bugged windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant do the insert windows XP method cause the "searching for previous versions of microsoft windows" appears and it hangs on me!

cant use the windows recovery console thingy too... it also hangs!

cant log in with safe mode...

cant log in with command prompt...

I almost tried everything that I know...

can I format my drive C with the BIOS thingy? havent tried that yet

EDIT:

BTW the error that I'm getting is this thing that says

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

EDIT:unfortunately I dont have a floppy disk drive :((

Are you sure your Windows XP CD works?

You can try getting on another HDD and format manually from there, then do the usual method if you have another HDD, or you can create a Boot Disc from Nero, and boot from the CD, format your HDD on the CMD shell, then do the usual method and set Windows XP up.

yup I am sure the CD works.. I've tried it on my friend's desktop...

I just wanted to simply format my drive C.. i have some important files but I have to let them go because I badly need to use my desktop right now for school stuff which is more important..

so is there any way to format my drive C using the BIOS thingy??

"You can try getting on another HDD and format manually from there, then do the usual method if you have another HDD, or you can create a Boot Disc from Nero, and boot from the CD, format your HDD on the CMD shell, then do the usual method and set Windows XP up.
^
This. :)

And I didn't understand what you have meant by saying the BIOS thingy, elaborate please.

BIOS thingy is the setup thing that appears during the boot up of my PC when pressind "del"

btw I found this solution to my problem but i'm not sure how to use it in my desktop under those circumstances i mentioned above... please help me how to use it...

support.microsoft.com/kb/915092/

i put it on my flash drive.. but how do i open it on my corrupted desktop

Stupid Qick Question

Barnz4lyf,
Are you booting ftrom the CD or just inserting in when Windows is up. You definitely need to boot from CD!

Yeah boot from the CD! Put the disk in and restart you should get an option that says "press any key to boot from cd...". If not try going into you're bios boot devices then set you're cd drive to 1st. From there just let the CD do its job, but make sure you delete and re-partion the drive.

If, in fact, your system hangs when booting from CD it usually means a device problem
> Unplug all unnecessary devices (e.g. USB drives, printers, etc)
> Do you have an internal fingerprint reader? and/or memory card reader? If so, try to turn them off as well (check BIOS to see if they can be disabled)

/* edit */
Plus, i just noticed the error message you indicated eariler. That sounds like a registry problem. Also see How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back