How do I import messages from Outlook Express 6 into Outlook 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to read the e-mails from my old Windows 98 computer on my current Windows XP computer but I haven't been able to figure out how to successfully do this. The e-mail client on the Windows 98 machine was Outlook Express 6 and the one on my current XP computer is Outlook 2002.

I followed the instructions listed on the Microsoft support site (Article ID: 270670) for backing up the data from Outlook Express which left me with a folder of .dbx files (Inbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc) which I then burned onto a CD and transferred over to my XP computer. My problem is that now that I've done that I'm not sure how to get Outlook 2002 to import that folder of .dbx files or recognize it. I googled it but didn't find any helpful results other than links to expensive conversion programs. So could anyone here offer any help on the matter? Thanks in advance.

Update: I realized that Outlook can't open the .dbx files and that Outlook Express has to export them to Outlook. However, when I tried this it only exported the messages in my "Sent" folder and none of the messages in any of the other folders, including Inbox.dbx which is about 500MB in size so I know the messages are in there. Any advice on what to do next?

First configure the account in OE and point it to the DBX files that you have. Then you can use the Import and Export function from the File menu in Outlook to pull data from OE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back