How do I install Wine on Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn?

By mopar man
Sep 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a computer that I need to get windows apps working on. It is a SiS (I Guess), and has 256 Ram with a Geforce2 MX400 graphics card. It has an AMD Turon * Ithink* 700 MHz cpu.

I have no knowledge of Linux. AT ALL.

I downloaded the source from a site and put it on the cd and then put it onto the computer. (no modem, so no net)

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to do this? I have tried some of the terminal stuff and gotten completely lost. This is a fresh copy of Linux, so nothing has been changed. I would like to get C&C Generals working because I wann know how it is gonna run.

Thanks.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Please. Don't bother with the source.

Now, the magic: search google for ubuntu wine. You will get a page like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Quite amazingly, they doin't lie and that's how you get Wine on Ubuntu.
  3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,492

Thanks Nodsu, but I have already googled. The big problem is that I don't have internet on that computer and so I can't download/install anything the way that wants me to. Is there a place I can download a installer type thing on this computer (xp) and burn it, then place it on the other one?
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You can download the Wine .deb file and install it manually using dpkg.
  5. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,492

Ok, I got that computer back (long story) and I got the .deb file. I "install the package" using that file, no terminal.

I finally figured it out....

I can now run syspec, AVG anti spyware (it installed, at least) ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.