TechSpot

How do I install Wine on Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn?

By mopar man
Sep 18, 2007
  1. I have a computer that I need to get windows apps working on. It is a SiS (I Guess), and has 256 Ram with a Geforce2 MX400 graphics card. It has an AMD Turon * Ithink* 700 MHz cpu.

I have no knowledge of Linux. AT ALL.

I downloaded the source from a site and put it on the cd and then put it onto the computer. (no modem, so no net)

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to do this? I have tried some of the terminal stuff and gotten completely lost. This is a fresh copy of Linux, so nothing has been changed. I would like to get C&C Generals working because I wann know how it is gonna run.

Thanks.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837

Please. Don't bother with the source.

Now, the magic: search google for ubuntu wine. You will get a page like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Quite amazingly, they doin't lie and that's how you get Wine on Ubuntu.

3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,379

Thanks Nodsu, but I have already googled. The big problem is that I don't have internet on that computer and so I can't download/install anything the way that wants me to. Is there a place I can download a installer type thing on this computer (xp) and burn it, then place it on the other one?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837

You can download the Wine .deb file and install it manually using dpkg.

5. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,379

Ok, I got that computer back (long story) and I got the .deb file. I "install the package" using that file, no terminal.

I finally figured it out....

I can now run syspec, AVG anti spyware (it installed, at least) ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.