How do I make a bootable CD to run gparted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisMcNic2!

I am at the end of my string here & am suffering from information overload.

I've searched in Google, but all I seem to find is how to make a CD to reinstall XP.

The problem is I have a Dell Optiplex GX270, that I bought from 123 Compute with a stripped down version of Windows XP Pro & of course it came without the XP installation disks. I have downloaded ImgBurn but to make the CD bootable I have to extract the boot data from the "Installation Disk" which I don't have. Is there not a way that I can extract the data from my Hard drive, I tried but it said that I could not save it to the C: drive, does this mean I need a 2nd Hard Drive, if so then I can always borrow my other computer's C: drive to do the deed.

All I want to do is make a bootable disk to run gparted to see if we can save a friends Hard drive that Nero Express Essentials squeezed down from 20 Gig to 7 Gig when he tried to copy his old C; drive to a bigger one, but ended up with 2 small drives instead. We suspect that it was partitioned & the 2nd partition is invisible. :suspiciou

Any & all help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks guys! I have had gparted since November but got hung up trying to make a boot disk, couldn't see the Forest for the Trees. Never thought that the ISO file was self booting. :blush:

Burned it & gave it a quick test run just to see if it would load. After a couple of false starts, forgot to change my boot sequence then forgot to move the CD from my Burner to my reader :blush: Everything looks OK!

Thanks LNCPapa for the update info I had downloaded from Forge, but will go back & get the newest version. :grinthumb

I will go back to my original post
Nero downsized HDD to 7 Gig
to give everybody an update on how that ends up.

Now on to learning how to Ghost, will try DriveImage as it is free & be all ready for the weekend to dive back into Ronny's Hard Drive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back