How do I overclock HP Compaq?

Jskid

I'm having trouble overclocking my desktop. I can't find any settings in the bios that have anything to do with voltage and all the programs I've tried don't support the hardware. I've got a HP Compaq dc 7800p Convertible Minitower with Windows XP Pro SP3 on it.

Most pre-built systems do not support overclocking so there are no options in the BIOS.

If you want to get into overclocking build your own PC or buy a custom PC with hardware that supports overclocking.

JMMD is right. But I know several years ago (haven't looked into it in years) there were some limited software overclocking methods. Perhaps those still exist.

Can anyone recommend a software? BTW I'm willing to take a risk and burn out a piece of hardware (if that opens up options).

Looks like you've got an "Intel® Core™2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB)" then, based on the configurations they list on their website.

You could probably get 3 GHz on stock cooler, as many have been able to get over 3.3 with a little tweaking. However, I'd need to know your exact system specs to know how to proceed.

List them, and I'll give you some instructions.

@redk what would you like to know, my CPU clock speed?
@UT66 what number should I enter?

EDIT: if it's any use I've got a picture of inside of the case

1) open your case 2) take a look at the motherboard 3) find the correct clock generator
edit, i think your HP Compaq dc 7800p uses intel q35 chipset

@Jskid what do you want to do with your pc? ( gaming, photo video editing, surfing) why are you unhappy with your performance? you know, you can do other things beside ocn you cpu, if your pc feels sluggish it might simply be a memory issue, how many things do you have on memory at once? how many process are you currently running?( one of my pcs is a ocd e7600 with xp sp3, doing nothing ( idle) it has a 82mb memory usage and 12 process running) just do a CTRL + ALT + DEL and tell me how many process do you see? start > run > msconfig > startup > what do you see?
also you might want to try a different os ( ubuntu linux)

This is part of what I got from Everist:
Code:
[ North Bridge: Intel Bearlake Q35 ]

North Bridge Properties:
      North Bridge                                      Intel Bearlake Q35
      Intel Platform                                    Weybridge (Professional)
      Revision / Stepping                               02 / A2
      In-Order Queue Depth                              12

Memory Controller:
      Type                                              Dual Channel  (128-bit)
      Active Mode                                       Dual Channel  (128-bit)

Memory Timings:
      CAS Latency (CL)                                  5T
      RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD)                           5T
      RAS Precharge (tRP)                               5T
      RAS Active Time (tRAS)                            15T
      Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)                     36T
      Command Rate (CR)                                 2T
      RAS To RAS Delay (tRRD)                           3T
      Write Recovery Time (tWR)                         13T
      Read To Read Delay (tRTR)                         Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T
      Read To Write Delay (tRTW)                        8T
      Write To Read Delay (tWTR)                        Same Rank: 11T, Different Rank: 5T
      Write To Write Delay (tWTW)                       Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T
      Read To Precharge Delay (tRTP)                    5T
      Write To Precharge Delay (tWTP)                   13T
      Precharge To Precharge Delay (tPTP)               1T
      Refresh Period (tREF)                             2600T
      DRAM Read ODT                                     3T
      DRAM Write ODT                                    6T
      MCH Read ODT                                      8T
      Performance Level                                 8
      Read Delay Phase Adjust                           Neutral
      DIMM1 Clock Fine Delay                            13T
      DIMM2 Clock Fine Delay                            5T
      DIMM3 Clock Fine Delay                            12T
      DIMM4 Clock Fine Delay                            4T

Error Correction:
      ECC                                               Not Supported
      ChipKill ECC                                      Not Supported
      RAID                                              Not Supported
      ECC Scrubbing                                     Not Supported

Memory Slots:
      DRAM Slot #1                                      512 MB  (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
      DRAM Slot #2                                      512 MB  (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller:
      Graphics Controller Type                          Intel GMA 3100
      Graphics Controller Status                        Disabled

PCI Express Controller:
      PCI-E 1.0 x16 port #2                             In Use @ x16  (nVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 (q283) Video Adapter)

Chipset Manufacturer:
      Company Name                                      Intel Corporation

[ South Bridge: [ TRIAL VERSION ] ]

South Bridge Properties:
      South Bridge                                      [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Intel Platform                                    Weybridge (Professional)
      Revision / Stepping                               92 / A2
      Package Type                                      676 Pin mBGA
      Package Size                                      3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
      Core Voltage                                      1.05 V

High Definition Audio:
      Codec Name                                        Analog Devices AD1884
      Codec ID                                          11D41884h / 103C2819h
      Codec Revision                                    00100100h
      Codec Type                                        Audio
      Supported Sound Formats                           8 kHz, 11 kHz, 16 kHz, 22 kHz, 32 kHz, 44 kHz, 48 kHz, 88 kHz, 96 kHz, 176 kHz, 192 kHz, 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit

PCI Express Controller:
      PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #1                              Empty
      PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #2                              Empty

Chipset Manufacturer:
      Company Name                                      Intel Corporation
@UT66 I often need multiple programs open. Outlook is always open, normally I have a web browser and Microsoft Office Product such as Word.

thats fine,i also use a lots of programs at once, what i mean is if you have unnecessary process residing in memory all the time, as in sucking up your ram even if you are NOT using the application.

When I run SetFSB from my computer I get an error saying WinRing0 Error5. If I run the files straight from the archive it sort of works.

All the controls are grayed out and I can't click anything.

i can't tell overclocking programs would work for the processor, but the NV 285 you're using will overclock nicely with nvidia system tools. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.06.html)

I'd download that, and play around with upping the clocks. Don't save them to a profile until you've found a stable overclock though, or when you restart the computer it won't boot Windows.

Also, if the motherboard supports it, the clock speed of the FSB (Processor related) will show up in System Tools. You might be able to OC the processor that way, as I have done with my C2Q.

i can't tell overclocking programs would work for the processor, but the NV 285 you're using will overclock nicely with nvidia system tools. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.06.html)

I'd download that, and play around with upping the clocks. Don't save them to a profile until you've found a stable overclock though, or when you restart the computer it won't boot Windows.

Also, if the motherboard supports it, the clock speed of the FSB (Processor related) will show up in System Tools. You might be able to OC the processor that way, as I have done with my C2Q.

How do you use this program?

See "System information", which is highlighted on the left?
Click "Device Settings" above it. It might ask you to accept a license agreement or something of the sort, and then it may give you the opportunity to overclock various system parts. Some might be greyed out, but I know it works on the video card.

Back