TechSpot

How do I rid Outlook Express of AOL imap?

By Savage1701
May 18, 2009
  1. I made the mistake of adding my AOL account to Outlook Express. After all sorts of email vanishing to gosh know where, I just gave up and deleted the AOL account. But AOL is still doing hinckey things like deleting brand-new unread mail. I have no clue some of the things I have lost.

What do I do to undo all of this?

Thanks

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Please tell me how you added AOL to Outlook Express.

And have you tried just deleting the account?

3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 153

I googled "add AOL to outlook express" and found several web pages that showed how to add AOL to outlook express as an Imap account.

Well, of course I tried just deleting the account. I said that in the opening commentary. I even went into the Identities folder and pulled out the inbox.idx thinking it was storing the imap info in there. In short, OE has got a hold of AOL and is not letting go.

This is completely unlike anything else I have ever encountered with adding or deleting a POP account. When they are deleted, they are gone. Not the case with AOL, at least on my computer.

4. Bobbye

AOL is known for being tenacious! Back in the day of AOL v5, it took me a year to get rid of all the files and folders!

The only thing I can think of since you have tried the obvious is to do a reinstall of OE- be aware that Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer so it will mean handling them both- they are in the Windows Components section of Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

You can give this a try: http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresstroubles/qt/et_reinstall_oe.htm

5. Savage1701

oh man, this is going to be a whole lot of fun...

6. Bobbye

Give it a try. It will be worth it if it removed the AOL account. AOL never made removing it's files and folders easy!

7. Savage1701

Found It

Gmail had unilaterally decided it was going to retrieve my AOL imap mail. I never set it to do that. Ever. Problem solved.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.