How do I save my language CDs on my hard drive and work from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a language CD set, and I do like it. The one thing I do not like is using the CDs every time I want to work with it. I have a Dell inspiron mini 10 with the external CD drive. The reason I bought the mini was for portability, but carrying the CD drive negates some of the advantages. How can I load the CDs on the hard drive and work from it, rather than the CD? I appreciate any help with this.

This all depends on the software.
Not all programs let you copy the CD to your HD to make it work. If you tell us what software it is, it may help. What does the program access the CD for? Is there an option in the program, of where to look for certain files?

software

I have two: Italian Platinum--Transparent Language and Instant Immersion Italian Deluxe. They use video and audio files as well as text.

Usually, programs that use both audio and video need the CD drive. have you tried running the program without the CD in the drive? Does it just tell you 'file not found' or does it ask you for a file location?

Have you tried simply copying the CD files to a folder on your HD as Strategic points out?

If yes and the files copy OK then open the folder on your HD and look at the file names and file extensions.

You can either try
1) Clicking on each .exe file extension (one of them should be the start of the Language program) or
2) There is probably a file in the folder named autorun.inf. Open it using Programs->Accessories->Notepad. It should contain the name of the .exe file which is started when the CD starts. That should be the file you can also try manually starting on your HD

You will laugh at my stupidity. I tried to do the notepad thing, and I wasn't having much success. I then looked at the files and noticed and install shield in addition to the autorun. I wondered why that was there, so I went to the instructions file--as a last resort. In the file, the directions included instructions on how to use the install shield. Within that you can copy the disks to the HD. It works! I feel a bit better about this, since my tech guy did not discover the secret, either. It has taught me to read that file in the future, though. I thank you for all your help, and I hope I provided some laughter.
Marsh

You will laugh at my stupidity.

Laugh at you? Not at all! Infact, i think you deserve a big "pat-on-the-back" and thumbs up for resolving your issue. Congrats! :approve: :grinthumb :grinthumb

I feel a bit better about this, since my tech guy did not discover the secret, either. It has taught me to read that file in the future, though. I thank you for all your help, and I hope I provided some laughter.
Marsh

I don't know anyone who can really laugh here. Everybody started at the bottom at some point. I'd like to meet the person who was born a pro.
The main thing is you got it running the way you want, that's the key;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back