How do I store my laptop?

I have a laptop that I want to store long term. I do not need it now but don't want to sell it. Can I store it for a year or 2? If so what steps should I take to do it safely? Thanks

Just shut down the PC. The laptop may run out of battery power since Lithium Ion batteries tend to drain, but just remember to plug it in when you use it again. Just shut it down, unplug the power chord (if not on battery) and store it.

Just shut down the PC. The laptop may run out of battery power since Lithium Ion batteries tend to drain, but just remember to plug it in when you use it again. Just shut it down, unplug the power chord (if not on battery) and store it.
thank you JC, ok to let it sit a year or more or should I start it up every few months?

Just remember, when you start it back up a year or ?? later, you're going to have all those MS updates & other updates to take care of.;)

Take out the battery. This is universal advice for storing anything for extended periods these days.

Turning it on every so often is only necessary to install updates. This is better than a big batch install at once, but not needed.

If you leave it in storage for say a year, let it sit in your room for a day before turning it on. Who knows if any moisture etc got into the laptop - letting it sit will equalise it to the room atmosphere.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am curious, why take out the battery? Just so that it doesnt turn on mysteriously :eek:? lol

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am curious, why take out the battery? Just so that it doesnt turn on mysteriously :eek:? lol

I don't know exactly which parts (CMOS..?), but there are always things minutely draining a battery when it is in a device. Running a Lithium battery completely flat (and then some) wrecks it. Actual manufacturers of devices say to take battery out in the manual, if storing.

Speaking of moisture, might be add a pack of desiccant also.

Yeah, good advice, I considered saying this but didn't for some reason. :p

why take out the battery?
ALL equipment with batteries should have the battery removed for long-term storage. Batteries are chemical energy "factories" and the chemical reactions that produce Voltage & Current ALSO cause the containers to be eaten away, creating leakage and from there the contacts get corroded. Each battery technology has a different storage and usage profile, but even the LiON batteries can create problems long term.

Personally, I would store the system in a cloth bag (ie, porous and thus it 'breathes') and the battery separately in a plastic bag (to isolate it from everything else and trap any leakage.)

Just curious, I store my ordinary batteries (AA, A, 9v) in the fridge when not in use, and found storing recharged batteries in the fridge when not in use keeps them from going dead (very bad for rechargables), and now I'm wondering if I could store my laptop battery the same way? (maybe store it in a vacuum-sealed bag to prevent moisture.)

Best thing to do for the battery is to drain/charge it to about 40%, put it in a ziplock and put it in your refrigerator.
In fact, any charge level aside from drained and 100% will greatly decrease degradation from drained/fully charged.
The ziplock is just to prevent moisture.
And lithiums have essentially zero self-discharge, JC713, but they may have parasitic drain from what they're connected to.

Back