How do I transfer my AV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongan

I have just built a whole new system...
I have NOD32 installed and regularly updated on my OLD computer.

I was wondering how I would go about putting NOD32 onto the new HDD with all it's current updates?
A friend said to just copy the Program Folder to a disk, but I'm not sure if that would work.

And also, how do I burn something like NOD32 or Spybot to a disk?

Used to work at a computer store, and the customers main complaint was after we explained unless you have the install file or original installation disc, it would be extremely difficult to simply copy any program to another hdd. You would be surprised how many had lost their disc for the program, and were unable to recover it. Files that are installed from certain programs go into root directories, and subfolders, containing information to run the program or portions of it. Not everything for the program goes into the Program folder. So in short, you would need to save the install file for the program to a jump drive, or find the original installation disc if that is what the program came on. If you need more info, pm me

If you need more info, pm me
No need to

All information and answers can be supplied here

Just to re-confirm what spkenny said.
You cannot backup the AntiVirus program folder, because many registry entries are written on the install of the program, which will likely cause the program not to work just by copying the Program folder over.

Best to install it normally on the other computer (especially Antivirus software)

One clarification

1. You must reinstall your AV software on your computer using its installation program

2. However, re-installing the software will not reinstall any configuration/customization parameters you may have set for it on the old computer

3. You should look for / search for Import and Export functions with your current version and the one you want to use
=> I believe (not 100% tho, you should check) Import/Export only available with subscription versions of NOD32, not if free
=> I do know it's available if you're using a subscription version of NOD32 version

/**** Edit *****/
If no Exporting from old and no Importing to new, you have to recreate by hand

Sorry I didn't mention beforehand, but I do have the original install.exe.

I just need to know how to apply all the updates I have downloaded over the past year to a fresh installation (Which has definitions from like '07).

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated.

Install the program on the new computer. It will update itself automatically for virus database, and as a licensed user you can get version updates from the est site.
If your license key is questioned, write to Eset support explaining the move and they will most likely send you a new key.

Yes I know all that...I just didn't want to spend more time downloading a year worth of stupid definitions.

I thought maybe there is a Backup somewhere in my ESET directory?

Oh the updates. Why didn't you just say that?

Short Answer: No you cannot download and update manually
Long Answer: Yes of course you can!
Have a read here You will need n32upgen.exe as well, I found it all over the web.

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)
pc-disk-clone(Home Edition: Up to 2GB/min, Pro Edition: Up to 7GB/min)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover to a blank HardDrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back