How do I upgrade my motherboard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmalone0023

Hi, I am having trouble. I bought a Dell 3000 2.66 ghz celeron d 512 mb 80 gb computer. That is what I could afford and trust. Yet, it works great for school but horrible for gaming. My motherboard only holds PCI. So i bought a PCI card 256 mb 128 bit Geforce fx5500. But i have not recieved it yet though the mail. So I was wondering if I would upgrade my motherboard for my dell in the upcoming weeks to improve gaming and the computer overall. Can someone please give me some advice?? Thanks

Ken

I really dont recommend changing out just the motherboard with Dell computers. They do not usually have a good power supply plus they are cramped inside for space. You may also have a hard time fitting aftermarket mainboards into that case.

Alternatively, it's usually much more prudent to try and scavenge as many parts off your Dell as possible to fit into a new system. You can find new cases that will mount any mainboard, with nice 450W or higher power supply + case fans for around $60-$90 at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=9

Also realize, with a mainboard change, re-installing Windows XP comes highly recommended. You can do this without a re-install, but it takes several steps and can leave a lot of older hardware drivers/chipset/agp around that require even more steps to clean away properly. Needless to say, if you're not a big XP pro, it's generally easier to simply cdburn your files/data and re-install from the CD's and re-activate with the sticker serial on your Dell case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back