How do I upgrade my motherboard???

By kmalone0023
Oct 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I am having trouble. I bought a Dell 3000 2.66 ghz celeron d 512 mb 80 gb computer. That is what I could afford and trust. Yet, it works great for school but horrible for gaming. My motherboard only holds PCI. So i bought a PCI card 256 mb 128 bit Geforce fx5500. But i have not recieved it yet though the mail. So I was wondering if I would upgrade my motherboard for my dell in the upcoming weeks to improve gaming and the computer overall. Can someone please give me some advice?? Thanks

Ken
  2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,198

I really dont recommend changing out just the motherboard with Dell computers. They do not usually have a good power supply plus they are cramped inside for space. You may also have a hard time fitting aftermarket mainboards into that case.

Alternatively, it's usually much more prudent to try and scavenge as many parts off your Dell as possible to fit into a new system. You can find new cases that will mount any mainboard, with nice 450W or higher power supply + case fans for around $60-$90 at NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=9

Also realize, with a mainboard change, re-installing Windows XP comes highly recommended. You can do this without a re-install, but it takes several steps and can leave a lot of older hardware drivers/chipset/agp around that require even more steps to clean away properly. Needless to say, if you're not a big XP pro, it's generally easier to simply cdburn your files/data and re-install from the CD's and re-activate with the sticker serial on your Dell case.
  3. kmalone0023

kmalone0023 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 42

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.