How do u tell which Grapics card to use? PSIe or PCI or AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

volatiledisplay

Hi im runin on a Windows XP, Compaq presario, and its Pentium 4 2.50GHz 2.49GHz. I need to know which graphics card to get taht will work with my motherboard. I need it to play wow so if anyone has one for 60ish$ tell me wat model it is. I think i need a PCI but im not sure. +) thanks

Same old reply

It's in the motherboard manual.I guess you don't have one.
Find it's make amd model and download a Pdf version,or
take it to a computer repair shop.
:cool:

Download CPU-Z from here. Click on the mainboard tab. That will tell you the make and model of your motherboard, then googling the model will probably return some specs. Or just post the make and model here.

kitty500cat said:
Download CPU-Z from here. Click on the mainboard tab. That will tell you the make and model of your motherboard, then googling the model will probably return some specs. Or just post the make and model here.

The maker is TriGem Computer Inc. The model is Glendale mother board

Ah, I read that it has 3 PCI expansion slots. I only wanna buy 1 graphics card. Im not really sure what the other 2 would be used for...

Anyone know what kinda card I SHOULD get for semi cheap and can play world of warcraft. iv looked into card for 60ish$ and thats what im lookin for.

two topics on the same problem isnt handy. for one: we all have PCI expansion slots, you need to look for AGP or PCI-express. If it's not there, you're probably pci only. Now could we please move to the other topic and keep discussion central? thanks.

On a side note: If you're really not sure where to find it, you can also download Everest Home Edition. Look under the first tab, it says something like summary. Now look for motherboard in the summary, it should say something like this: Motherboard name,3xpci,1xAGP(in case you haven't figured, if it says 1xAGP, it means you have AGP :) )

Being a Compaq computer it most liekly only has PCI slots, so you're going to need a PCI Graphics card such as the BFG Tech Geforce FX5500 but you need to make sure you have a 250 watt powersupply. Also it doesnt matter that you have 3 PCI slots, you only need to use one for the card and most liekly you only have two left since most liekly one has a standard dial=up modem in it since its an OEM system.

After researching that board, it seems that it has only PCI slots.

c00414191.gif

That came off HP's page (HERE) with that motherboard's specifications.

Check out this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51437.html - it tells you what the best PCI graphics card is.

Regards :)

Thats what I pointed out already, Compaq is a lower-end system now since it was bought by HP in 2002 so it would only have PCI slots also since the board is a Trigeam board which also makes motherboards for Emachines before the Gateway buyout, mostly all trigem motherboards have 3 pci slots thats it

I'm not sure about always, but....

In my limited experience PCI-E x 16 sockets are black (instead of white) and point backwards. (with respect to the anti-reversal blocker).

captaincranky, if u had been folling the post u would have known they determined that it was a PCI video card and not a PCI-E x 16

Look Ma, No Hands.. (er, directions)

nickc said:
captaincranky, if u had been folling the post u would have known they determined that it was a PCI video card and not a PCI-E x 16

Oh, but I was following the post. I was suggesting an easy way. (for the next time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back