How do you Defragment a computer?

By higgeo
May 1, 2008
  1. Hi. I would like to make make my computer run faster. I have some questions. please take a look.

Will a defrag make my computer run faster?

Is it reiable?

Are there any problems?

How do i Defrag my computer?

Will it get rid of my files on my hard drive?

What does a defrag do?

Please help!!
    Thank you.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. jay1648

jay1648 TS Rookie

Kimsland answered the questions above very well. I would suggest you must degrag your system atleast once in a while.
  4. krait

krait TS Rookie

low space defrag

Just a minor note; these days, the fully automatic defragmenters can defrag in low space conditions..even less than 5%, depending on the actual size of the fragmented files and actual available drive space.

I have defragged a heavily fragmented volume with thousands of ~20MB files (RAW image files) when available free space was only 6%.:) I used a commercial (paid) fully automatic defragmenter for this though; the windows defragger still needs 15% minimum and takes forever to run.

I like the auto defraggers over manual/scheduled defraggers because they are the easiest to use (have to do nothing after installing lol) and the most efficient in tackling fragmentation.
  5. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

Yes at least once a month,but delete all unnecessary files first,with Disk Cleanup.
    It removes unused files.
    Quote : What does a defrag do?
    It mainly creates more HD space.It does not delete files.
    Every 3 or 4 do a chkdsk first.
    Do you know where to run it from ?
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Actually good point zipperman.

Clean out all the temp files first.
    I use CCleaner, or download here Directly

Also it can't create more space on a HardDrive exactly (sorry to be picky)
    Because the HardDrive physical size remains the same :)
    Sorry I had to write that, because once I wrote that time will go faster in a report, and I was told that time can't go faster, but the job can be completed more quickly (it annoyed the hell out of me!, but I understand it)

Also just as a mention. Vista OS has been set up to automatically Defrag as a task, on default install. Not sure if that's ideal, but basically no need to Defrag Vista, unless you remove this task.
  7. higgeo

higgeo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

yay. thanks for your help. I will clean up my drive by uninstaling programs and tep files and then defrag my computer. thanks for your help.
  8. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

Kimsland is right so i just want to add that it is a necessary operation as you
    can see the fragments are defraged and gone for faster performance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.