How do you format a 64 gb flash drive in NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you format a 64 gb flash drive in NTFS?

It came in Fat32 but I need to place a 56gb file on it and Fat32 will not accept a file greater than 4gb.

I can get smaller drives to do what I want, but not the 64gb. I would appreciate anyone answering that knows.

On the Policies tab click on Optimize for performance.
OK, guys. I take exception with one point in each of your instructions (Or at least feel compelled to note a "warning")
  • Note that setting policy to "Optimize for Performance" doesn't make a difference to the formatting process itself
  • Rather, it becomes a "drive attribute" Windows remembers and associates the attribute with that specific flash drive each time you subsequently replug it
  • "Optimized for Performance" means Windows caches the write data.
    • "Caching" data to removable drives sounds great. It means Windows buffers each write to the drive internally and can then write a single, large block of data to the drive instead of many, smaller chunks of data one a at time. Performance is improved that way as you get one large write to the flash rather then many smaller writes to the flash.
    • But the PROBLEM with caching: When the flash is "unexpectedly" removed (from Windows point-of-view)
      • i..e Users aren't aware or simply forget to use the Safely Remove Hardware Icon before unplugging the flash drive (This notifies Windows of the users "intent to unplug" so Windows can write any cached data and close all open file handles)
      • Or Windows unexpectedly crashes
  • In each of these cases, the "buffered" data in Windows never gets written to the flash!
As a result, the caching policy increases the chance your flash memory data can get corrupted at some point! Which is why i suggest using "Optimize for Removal": Writing data may be a bit slower but the policy MUCH safer (i.e. reduces the odds of losing the data on your flash drive!). I suppose the question for the user reduces to:
Which is more important to you, a bit more speed when writing to the flash OR the safety of knowing the data on your flash is less likely to get corrupted so you won't loose it!​

The HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility (directly from HP here: http://h50178.www5.hp.com/local_drivers/17550/SP27608.exe)
Is to format Fat32 only, and will not work here if you want NTFS

Edit:

oops, yes it can do NTFS format
The tool was made in May 2004, I thought it was only Fat32 :/
3478o5i.jpg

Is to format Fat32 only, and will not work here if you want NTFS

No it can format USB drives in NTFS too.

@LookinAround. Yes that is the difference between Optimized for quick removal and Performance. Those in the habit of unplugging USB drives without ejecting should be safe with the default setting. In situation where you want to format a USB drive on a PC with no internet connection where you cannot download HPUSBFW or the format utility is not installed, You can change to Optimize for performance, format the drive and revert the setting to Optimize for quick removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back