TechSpot

How good are Socket 775 DDR3 boards?

By kylercagni
Aug 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me how good are Socket 775 DDR3 motherboards, because I cant find any of them from any of my local stores, and they said they were no longer being made

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,948   +728

LGA 775 is for all intents and purposes...dead.

If you're looking for a DDR3 LGA 775 board, then your best bet is the second hand market. You're looking at/for P45/P43, X38 and X48 Intel chipsets, 750i SLI, 790i and 790 Ultra Nvidia chipsets. Some of the Intel boards are "combo" (have both DDR3 and DDR2 memory slots. You cannot use both types of memory at the same time)
    There is very (very) little performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 performance with LGA 775 unless you start heavily overclocking (DDR3-1800-2000+) -certainly not enough to go on some kind of internet pilgrimage looking for one

3. kylercagni

kylercagni TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 29

So for a person who was looking for those boards what would you suggest they do?

4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,948   +728

I thought I'd made that reasonably clear.
    If you cant find one in retail/etail -and I believe that only the mainstream P43 chipset boards are still on shelves anywhere(unless SA is markedly different from the rest of the planet)- then you're pretty much left with online auctions and the local secondhand market.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.