How good is Mac OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey m using an intel built system, i want to experiment with Mac OS X, but am not sure if its worth it...any experience out there?

Not as good as it could be. It is like VISTA is to WXP, or WMe was to W98SE. They will make it better, but all the old timers are complaining.

You need a good reason to change, and know that the Mac OS will meat that reasoning. If you don't know, don't go.

you have a good point...i may partition my harddrive for it, so if i dont like it, can jus delete it...i wanna do comptia A+ so this is all practice

If you can get it installed you should be able to get a decent feel for how the OS is. But you may run into a ton of little problems (and likely not being able to update the OS to fix any known issues) because it is not meant to run on that hardware.

Its a completely different mindset in using compared to Windows though. Very few programs actually use an 'installer' instead you download a .dmg (similar to an iso file) that is mounted. Then you just drag the app to the Applications folder (anywhere actually works, it just helps to keep them all in 1 spot). Thats all that needs to be done to install, uninstalling is just dragging that app to the trash. There are thosands of other little differences too, too many to list.

raybay said:
Not as good as it could be. It is like VISTA is to WXP, or WMe was to W98SE. They will make it better, but all the old timers are complaining.
depends upon who you talk to and which OS X in specific.
frankly, 10.3.9 is a great release imo. (yea, don't harp; I know it's not current :) )

Well jobeard.

I've ran 10.3.9, 10.4.xx, and 10.5.x on a total of 4 physically different machines.

I'd not disagree with you about 10.3.9, it was a very awesome release. I think this entire thread though is about someone that doesn't own a Mac, so they have a question on how good it is.
That is the problem, MacOS isn't desingned to run on anything except Apple hardware, this is a foreign concept to windows kids.

Some users adjust in three days...some require a month... depends on the tasks and speeds to which you are accustomed...

It is about equal to the difference between Office 2003 and Office 2007 Professional in a Windows environment...

Hey Just my 2 cents but if you know how to use xp you can figure out OSX well

depend on which version you use I am still on 10.4.9 just because I have not gotten

a new intel Mac. I use both and I really like OSX better just because there is not that

much of a risk with viruses and that type of stuff. Once you use it you will really like it.

SNGX1275 said:
... they have a question on how good it is.
Guess I'm overly analytical -- I can't wrap myself about terms like how good or what's best as these are just so subjective.
Then add the hidden assumptions and highly variable difference in experience and expectations and you get --- :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back