How Good Is My PC?

By Redplanet
Nov 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been told that it is really good, but even games like Half life 2 are extremely slow on the highest settings, and I can't understand why...
    Can someone give me advice?

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600GS (Sli) (This model is only found in a Packard bell PC)
    CPU: Intel Quad 2.40GHz
    Memory: 2046MB Ram
  2. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd Newcomer, in training Posts: 316

If your computer is a Packard Bell, you are not going to see substantial improvements. Tell us more about brand, model, and configuration.
  3. Redplanet

Redplanet Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Don't know what to tell you

Its a packard bell ipower 8620, a model only found in stores.
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,846   +61

is it SLI capable? or actually running 2x 8600Gs's ?
  5. Redplanet

Dunno

I've just set the SLI function to enabled, but hardly any change in performance
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,846   +61

in order for SLI to increase performance it need to have multiple GPU's running (two or more cards, or a dual GPU card) so if you have only 1 8600gs, it wouldn't increase performance.
  7. Redplanet

i've GOT 2

don't remember saying i only had one.
  8. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd Newcomer, in training Posts: 316

Can we assume you are in Great Britain, and this is a model marketed there. From what I can find on the computer, the system board is somewhat limited. We have great troubles getting any speed out of them in Scotland. I believe the Packard Bell company pulled out of the USA.
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 Newcomer, in training

Your computer isn't "very good", but it's a solid computer, especially for a game like Half Life 2, you might want to try getting the most up to date drivers, then see if you still have issues.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.