TechSpot

How is the bandwidth shared in a network?

By lopdog
Jan 19, 2009
  1. Hi!

I'm about to set up a wireless home network between 3 computers to share my internet connection. I have a 128/64 connection (yes, it stil exists...)

Due to my slow connection I'd like to know how the computers will share the bandwidth? Will they always diviede it in three (42,66 kbps/computer) or will it depend on how much each computer needs at any given point?

Thanks

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,958   +587

the network is uncontrolled, but pragmatically, the ability of the remote server to provide replies
    becomes the controlling factor.

each request from your system is sent in a chunk which is consumed and then a follow-up
    read for the next chunk until all have arrived. your system does little compared to the remote host

with 128/64 (kb i assume it's dial-up), you best avoid videos and music !

3. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 295

Thanks, that cleared up a little.
    No, it's not Dial-Up, it's WiMax, but yes, very slow. In Bolivia internet connections are quite expensive, a 2Mbit connections costs about 360 US$/month!
    I can do almost anything with this connection, but of course it takes a LOT of time... :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.