How is turbo-mode affected by overclocking the 2600k?

donthaveacow

Hey guys, I'm going to get a Core i7 2600k for my new gaming build but I'm unsure about how the turbo-mode is affected by overclocking. The stock speed of this processor is 3.4GHz which goes up to 3.8GHz with turbo-mode.

If I overclock it to 4.4GHz does this mean that it will run at 3.4GHz with turbo-mode going up to 4.4GHz? Or will it run at 4.4GHz all the time?

Thanks in advance!

From my experience with the previous Generation, if you overclock with turbo on it just increases the turbo auto clock, so turn it off, and control everything manually to get the overclock you desire.

hey

Has long you disable in bios ALL the Energy saving feature you will run at your manual set speed.

Disable all Spectrum.
Disable SPEEDSTEP
Disable c1e support
Disable CPU virtualization ( if you dont use it )

Set pci-e freq to 100.

Has long you disable in bios ALL the Energy saving feature you will run at your manual set speed.....
WRONG!
If you don't know what you're talking about then best you STFU lest you start causing the OP to fubar his system
Disabling EIST and Speedstep locks the multiplier on LGA1155 CPU's.

@donthaveacow
If you overclock to 4.4GHz, then you have set the multiplier at 44 and the CPU operates at his frequency whenever it is under load. When the CPU is at idle it operates at 1.6GHz (16 multiplier).
Higher turbo operation is dependant upon load, temp and most importantly, voltage.
I would suggest you acquaint yourself with this guide
If you are looking at a conventional motherboard BIOS (i.e. a Gigabyte board) then post back if you're unsure on how to apply the values covered in the article concerning UEFI.

Ok thanks for that, unfortunately it will be a while before I actually purchase the system but I'll be sure to post back with any questions I have, which will probably be a lot :p

Thanks again!

Oc i5 2500k

Interesting comment about not turning off EIST or speedstep. I have both of these and all other turbo/energy saving settings off on my I5 2500k. It runs 24/7 @4.436 with 1.30 volts nice and cool.

I have small oc of bclk to 100.8. Load line cal. is set to level 1and all other voltages are auto.
Rock soild in games/encoding/prime95.

Stu

I believe you answered your own question.
Disable EIST and Speedstep = No Turbo.
Likewise, to run the board fully manually (i.e. max overclock 24/7) you would have needed to disable C3 and C6 states. Leaving them enabled should override any disabling of Speedstep someone attempts in the BIOS.

Had the original discussion been centred upon a no-turbo, no-sleep, no-powersaving, always on, always max freq/voltage situation then some subsequent comments replying to the OP's thread would be valid, but you'll notice that the OP's question was about Turbo mode- not about disabling it.

You might also note that not all motherboard manufacturers implement a "full turbo all the time" feature in their BIOS, so using a blanket statement based on one hardware configuration- which the OP may, or may not have access to- ultimately doesn't provide a great deal of constructive input-especially as you neglected to provide system info. Kind of like saying that your 1.30v is overvolting your CPU for the given overclock by using another- possibly- unrelated example

What I was originally wanting to find out was whether or not it was possible to set the processor to only run at those high clock speeds when needed. Say for example, I overclocked it to 4.5GHz, could I get it to idle at 1.6GHz and then only ramp up to 4.5GHz when needed?

Also, at stock settings I understand that it idles at 1.6GHz, then goes up to 3.4GHz if needed and then the turbo goes up to 3.8GHz. Am I able to just increase that final highest clock speed? So that it idles at 1.6, then goes up to 3.4, then goes up to 4.5GHz (or whatever I set it to) only when it needs that extra power?

The motherboard I will be using is an Asus P8P67 Pro if that is any help.

Ok sure, you need to keep these on if you want power saving benefit but I do have the system running 24/7 @4.436
from boot up, it does not reduce speed AT ALL!.

Prime95 for 24 hours, temps never above 58oC

I have managed to reduce my vcore to 1.27v by reducing the cpu pll from 1.8 to 1.7v

Memory runs at 1.64 on Xmp

My system is
Gigabyte P67A-UD7 rev 1.0 bios F7
4 g Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
I5 2500k + Fenrir Evo
Ati 6970
Coolermaster Pro Gold 850w

I think what Dividebyzero was saying is that with the previous generation iCore processors you disabled the turbo and overclocked the base operating frequency. With the second generation you are overclocking the turbo speed. Before you couldn't overclock without disabling the turbo(maybe you could but not much, generally was disabled for stability), but now you have the option of having it on or off. After all no one needs a processor running at 4.4Ghz to read facebook :D

Yes I do understand but when i tried to Oc using that method I kept getting BSOD. Could be just a problem related to the gigabyte board but to get stability i have had to turn these items off including spectrum spread.

So it would you could Oc that way but maybe not on all the SB boards.

Back